May have made a MISTAKE!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

May have made a MISTAKE!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 am

I went to a farm that one of our customers lets me hunt, the same farm I killed a doe and a beautiful 6pt buck from last year. I went during my lunch break to check a cam today and had the idea of looking at an area I have yet to set foot in. I chose to do this because I have yet to find any buck bedding on the property. In the pics below you will see the topo and an aerial with North to the top. The area I was looking in is the west side woods all the way to the end where the hay field and wood edge meet. I started my scout about mid ways of the wood lot and was working my way to the north. I wasnt seeing very much sign at all until I got down to the ditch in the bottom of the small valley, I noticed a faintly used trail. There is no rubs or none that I could see anyway, however I was about 60 yards from the transition line and i could see if was grown up very thick on the edge. As I got to about 40 yards from the edge BOOOOOOOOOM up jumps a large animal I going to assume it was a deer and took off across the hay field. I didnt get a visual as it was too thick, but I can tell you that is was a lone deer and it sounded very large. I never got any closer to the bed I immediately started looking for a tree that I could set up in when I have the same conditions. The wind is out of the NE so this deer did not smell me at all, I am thinking it was a soft bump by sound and I just got too close for comfort. The deer was bedded on the transition line of the timber that is thick and the hay field with the ditch right beside of him (or her). Now the good news is I have the same wind conditions tomorrow so I am planning to leave work a little early tomorrow and set up on this bed hoping that what ever had it occupied will bed it again and there is some rain moving in tonight too. This is one of those over looked spots that no one ever goes into because of where it is located and to be honest with you if i had never found the beast I wouldnt have either. You will see in the aerial the proximity to the roads where this deer was bedded.
I am not sure if I burned this bed but I am going to give it a shot tomorrow from the ground in a blow down that is about 60 yards down wind of this bed on the ditch edge.

the green dot is the bed the blue pin is the cam location.

you can see how close this bed is to the road to the west and not too far from the one to the north

i took this after i left which is looking towards the bed from the rd to the west in the aerial. you can see the beginning of the ditch

like I said i may have burned this bridge but i am hoping it being farm country in this local "he" ( as it was a lone deer) will return to bed it again with the same conditions tomorrow.

mathews418

Re: May have made a MISTAKE!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 am

this is the one from the road
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 am

Bumping them once is usually ok dogs, coyotes, hikers etc... Bump them and they are used to it. Bump him twice its a pattern and not good. Bump him3 times it's a habit and game over
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am

Only way to know is to throw a sit at it. At the very least you learned something.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Bumping them once is usually ok dogs, coyotes, hikers etc... Bump them and they are used to it. Bump him twice its a pattern and not good. Bump him3 times it's a habit and game over

x2
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:15 pm

It sounds more like you got some good intel. Sometimes you burn a spot in the near term but get information that will pay off in future seasons. Ideally youd never bump deer, but that just isn't possible to avoid.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Bumping deer every so often lets you know you're "in the game"! Pushing the limits is all part of beast hunting!

Evaluate/document the intel you got from that encounter, and use it to your advantage!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Maybe you get him, maybe you don't... Only way to know is to toss a sit at him and find out. Good luck
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:04 am

Yes I absolutely did gain some valuable intel for this area. it was just a hunch and to be honest, but now I know!!!
The bump wasn't intentional I assure you, however I did get to within 40 yards of this deer before it left out of the bed. I am 100 percent confident that I wasn't smelled not seen, I think just the noise I was making is what pushed the animal out. With that being said we have the same wind conditions today and I have a spot picked out on the ground in amongst a blowdown about 60 yards downwind of this bed. I may get him, I may not there is only one way to find out. However if I do, it would be my first beast kill and first from the ground with a bow!!!

Thanks for all the responses!!!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 am

Don't beat yourself up over bumping one. Just this week I bumped my target buck and followed him after he trotted out of sight and set up. Not 15 minutes later he came back and bedded 30 yards from me. He's in my freezer now :dance: That's not the first time i've bumped one and killed it too. Good luck!
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 am

flinginairos wrote:Don't beat yourself up over bumping one. Just this week I bumped my target buck and followed him after he trotted out of sight and set up. Not 15 minutes later he came back and bedded 30 yards from me. He's in my freezer now :dance: That's not the first time i've bumped one and killed it too. Good luck!

I seen that man, awesome job.
This will be a bump and dump the next day lol!!
Fingers crossed and 3:30 can get here fast enough!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”