IN COVER DECOY TACTICS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

IN COVER DECOY TACTICS

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

I have used a decoy quite a bit in the past. I have never killed a buck using one,but have had some pretty cool and exciting encounters. Every time i have used one its always on a field edge type of situation. this is probably the most effective method. but there has been alot of time when im in the timber when i really feel a decoy would have helped. Some instances is when you have a buck skirting your setup just out of range,you call he stops and stares,sees nothing,and moves on. I really think alot of times with something visual to go along with the sounds that the deer would come closer. anyone tried this type of tactic? Do you feel it would do more harm than good?

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: IN COVER DECOY TACTICS

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:20 pm

If deer are passing just out of range, you may have better luck in creating a makeshift funnel right now with deadfalls to neck their zone down and move them closer to your stand. By doing it now, they should have an established pattern by fall and be comfortable in traveling through the new set-up.

If you try a decoy in thicker cover, add some type of white handkerchief to the rear-end so that you could make a vocalization then have a string to move the hanky to allow the decoy to be noticed - or a section of TP moving in the breeze. As you well know, a deer standing still in thick cover is hard to see and the idea behind the decoy is a visual stimuli for action.

Let us know how it works!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Good advice PLH. Havent really had a consistant problem with any particular stand having them skirt my setup.and i know there are better tactics to apply than a decoy,not to mention lugging the thing in. We do have a particular stand that is pretty open just before the bedding area,access is great to this stand. Often thought about trying it.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I've always had the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 bucks come into decoys. It is really awesome watching them come in, but I don't have the same success on the older hermit bucks coming in. That is pretty much why I quit using them....The buck I shot in Kansas this year came into a grunt while I was situated near a field edge. I actually set the stand as an observation point and he came right in. However, I don't think he would have come running into a decoy if I had it out there. He seemed more curious and scrutinizing as he approached my position; If there would have been a decoy out there I don't think I would have seen him. Just my .02

In wood setups, I would just utilize travel corridors and get them with the element of surprise.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03 pm

I don't like using decoys in thicker cover. I guess it depends how thick you are talking though? A decoy in thick woods will alarm more deer and spook them because they just happen upon it without making a visual or smelling the other deer first. I would stick to open areas for my decoy sets. I agree with MoBigBucks too that a decoy will very rarely fool a mature animal.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:43 am

publiclandhunter wrote:or a section of TP moving in the breeze.
PLH

This is a great idea and an alternative for natures call!
I have ruined many long sleeved shirts throughout my hunting career, makes wife mad!!!

PLH - You may have saved my marriage :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 am

you call he stops and stares,sees nothing,and moves on. I really think alot of times with something visual to go along with the sounds that the deer would come closer. anyone tried this type of tactic? Do you feel it would do more harm than good?

Curiosity killed the cat... Or, maybe the bucK?
I think a mature buck is likely to get spooky around a decoy that does not move or take the stances that a real buck does.
Once he has spotted the buck he may try to intimidate it vwith stairing or circle down wind. But I think with no decoy your calling success will work better as the buck comes in searching for the intruder. Another trick I use is to never call swhen the buck is looking in your direction. Wait till he lets his gaurd down and looks a different direction.
I really don't care much for decoy hunting. kind of a personal preferance, but have thought it would work ok in some open area situations.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I don't like using decoys in thicker cover. I guess it depends how thick you are talking though? A decoy in thick woods will alarm more deer and spook them because they just happen upon it without making a visual or smelling the other deer first. I would stick to open areas for my decoy sets. I agree with MoBigBucks too that a decoy will very rarely fool a mature animal.

x's2!
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 am

I love using decoys but their is a time and a place for them..i dont think in a woods is a good spot..i think the only good spot for a decoy is on the field edge where you can see for a couple hundred yards...i have actually shot a nice buck using a decoy.i saw it out in the distance, gave a few grunts and a snort wheeze, and he came postering right into 30 yards..it was one of the most exciting hunts iv ever been on..

you also have to take the good with the bad..not every buck is going to come into your setup, many will see the decoy and bolt the opposite direction..iv had this many times also

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”