Scent Control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shadman

Scent Control

Unread postby Shadman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 am

Hey fellas,

Been following Dans stuff for a few years now and love it! I'm from Michigan and have used John Eberharts tactics with good success over the last 10 years but have really gotten into hunting the individual buck beds lately. One thing I have noticed is that nearly all of my bucks have come on the first sit on that location which leads me to my question on scent control.. I have always been extremely anal bout my process and frankly it causes me to hunt much less due to not being able to shower after work in time, and is also a pain in the to constantly keep up on it. I've been debating on canning it for a year or so and just hunting, and was wondering if any of you have gone through this and what results have you seen??

cdeam

Re: Scent Control

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52 am

I started seeing more deer when i gave up scent control and started really paying attention to wind direction. And not just my wind, but how the deer use the wind. You'll be better off ditching the scent control thing.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am

cdeam wrote:I started seeing more deer when i gave up scent control and started really paying attention to wind direction. And not just my wind, but how the deer use the wind. You'll be better off ditching the scent control thing.

Same exact thing with me. I use ZERO store bought scent products and hunt strictly by the wind now. I've been keeping log of the deer i've seen this year and so far I am up to 8 hunts, 17 deer spotted and I haven't been busted once, at least I sure haven't seen any bust me yet. If a guy was covered head to toe in Scentlok or some kind of spray and had the same experience he would be jumping up and down claiming that was the result of his system. It can definitely be done without doing anything special.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:06 am

cdeam wrote:I started seeing more deer when i gave up scent control and started really paying attention to wind direction. And not just my wind, but how the deer use the wind. You'll be better off ditching the scent control thing.

X2. You can still wear your clothes and shower, etc but just don't think that's fool proof. You must study and play the wind. You have a much better chance at killing a deer on a late evening sit after work where you're playing the wind in your underwear than sitting at home waiting for your scent free clothes to finish drying. I talked with my brothers friend a few days ago and he was washing his clothes. I asked him why and he said because they must stink because i have deer blowing at me. I said that won't help and he asked why. I said get some milkweed and figure out the wind plus if your scent suit wasn't working before what makes you think it will work the next time. Not sure if the light went on but if not he'll be banging his head against the wall until he gets the right wind and the suit magically allowed him to get a deer.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:14 am

Just hunt the wind, and you'll enjoy your hunting much more!!!

Do a search on "scent control". You will find many discussions & opinions on this subject.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 am

A cover scent of sweat, blood and swamp muck is pretty hard to beat :lol:

Welcome to the beast
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

Lot of us have been there before, gave up scent control years back and I am loving every minute of it. At the very least do your SC stuff when you can or on private land but please never let SC keep you out of the woods. Looking back I use to do that because I couldn't shower and have time to get out after work, that is just crazy talk to me now. Take your SC obsession and put it into scouting and wind/thermals and you will have a heck of a lot more fun and kill just as many if not more deer. Good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:59 am

To each their own but I gave up that stuff a long time ago and never looked back. Only scent control I practice is keeping the wind in my favor.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 am

Wind is important... access and where u step is equally important.

No scent control for yrs... I know buddies who are killers that will spray down with mosquitoe spray before hunting :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 am

Used to be pretty into the scent control game and found myself way stressed out trying to cover up every bit of scent. I'm not near as anal about it now. Will wash my clothes once or twice a year in the scent free soap and that's about all
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 am

I do both. IMO every little bit helps. I try to play the wind as best I can but where I hunt it blows all over the place during a 3 hour sit, therefore I'm also anal about scent control. I really dont know how anyone sits in the woods and has the wind blowing the same direction the whole time? Another problem I have is the deer can come from any direction in most of my spots. I have a direction that most of them come from but I've seen them come from all directions at one time or another. For me its just seems smarter to try to reduce my scent as much as possible, play the wind as best I can and keep my fingers crossed.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am

I used to go scent control crazy and realised you just never win..I then...since have gone wind crazy and using the milkweed to really see the air current and I have had better results. IMO the eberhart scent regiment only works for him.bc he hunt 25-30 feet up in the tree. I do respect the "eberhart way" though. I do still wash my gear spray down and wash my body if possible but I will hunt after a day of work and no way to shower
Last edited by northeast beast on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:46 am

I gave up on SC. Hunting has become more enjoyable just going into the woods and learning how the deer bed. It is a sense of relief to know it doesn't earn you anything more than the next guy. Just hunt smarter.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

I was never real big on scent control because it never made any sense to me. I think u will have a lot more enjoyment just playing the wind. If u add up all the hours u spend trying to remain scent free during a season I'm pretty sure u will have a large chunk of time that could be better spent doing something else. Play the wind and put some fun back into your hunting.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 am

Take the leap of faith.

See which way you enjoy more and have more success with.

I will never go back.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”