Southern milkweed substitute

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WMA hunter

Southern milkweed substitute

Unread postby WMA hunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 am

We don't seem to have milkweed like what grows in Michigan or in the Midwest. I am gathering different types of air distributed seeds to try this season. Does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute that would be available for an Alabama hunter?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Southern milkweed substitute

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:43 am

Thistle, cattail,cottonballs, dandelion will all work. Not quite as good as milkweed though
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 am

Buckshot20 wrote:Thistle, cattail,cottonballs, dandelion will all work. Not quite as good as milkweed though

Yep. Btw if anyone lives around JoeRE, he requested a thistle sample. You can just leave it in his front yard :mrgreen: :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 am

5 milkweed pods lasted me about 9 hunts currently I'm using cotton balls.

Cotton balls work great just pull off very tiny little pieces.

Put in new container put in pine branches.

A week later they all smell like pine trees.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:57 am

I use this. Not even sure what it's called but it works for me.

Last edited by BKMississippi on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 am

I have some milkweed if you need some. I live in Shelby county Alabama. It's not a ton, but it might get you through the season.
Fdept56

Unread postby Fdept56 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 am

I've found a weed that works in my area. I've looked and looked but can't find the name. This time of year it has milkweed type strands on it but smaller, in the summer it has little yellow flowers. Everywhere there is flowers it turns into the strands. It's a pretty tall weed that I've seen on the side of the road and fence lines.
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 am

GoInLight wrote:I have some milkweed if you need some. I live in Shelby county Alabama. It's not a ton, but it might get you through the season.

That's right up the road. I live in Sylacauga. I'm not trying to take your stash just making sure that I am not overlooking anything.

I have a few options on seeds to try and I didn't consider cotton but will try it to. Thanks for the help.
JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:02 am

I'm in metro Atlanta and haven't stumbled upon it growing wild in Georgia. HOWEVER - Asclepias Tuberosa or Butterfly (milk)weed is sold at some nurseries here. I bought some and planted it in my yard. Last August, I was able to get enough silks out of it to last me a couple years. If you trim it back, it comes right back next year. I was able to get more pods to dry this summer. It can be a little tough finding it in stock. I had to go a few places.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am

Don't know if you have it in Alabama, we have plenty in WV, but American burnweed (Fireweed) (Erechtites hieraciifolius) would work well.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:25 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:5 milkweed pods lasted me about 9 hunts currently I'm using cotton balls.

Cotton balls work great just pull off very tiny little pieces.

Put in new container put in pine branches.

A week later they all smell like pine trees.

X2 on the cotton balls. Put 4 or 5 in a rubber coin purse and just pinch off pieces as thin as u can and still be able to see them.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:40 pm

WMA hunter wrote:
GoInLight wrote:I have some milkweed if you need some. I live in Shelby county Alabama. It's not a ton, but it might get you through the season.

That's right up the road. I live in Sylacauga. I'm not trying to take your stash just making sure that I am not overlooking anything.

I have a few options on seeds to try and I didn't consider cotton but will try it to. Thanks for the help.

Man I'm in Sylacauga all the time. I hunt near auburn so I drive right through there. Let me know, I'd love to help you if you need it.
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Awesome. I will try that with cotton. I wonder if it would grow well from seeds here.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Cottonwood fluff works pretty good. Turns out I was allergic! Eyes watering and sneezing. Bubbles work well in post season if u run out of milkweed
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”