Don't trust the wind forecast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Don't trust the wind forecast

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 am

Wind is something I don't plan ahead too far with. I have a general idea when I leave the house by looking at the direction the local wind turbines are facing but when I arrive at my hunting destination I usually have to fine tune where I will set up. I never trust the wind forecast and only go by what milkweed is telling me. The only thing I consider with the wind forecast is if there is going to be a wind shift during my hunt. I have found Scoutlook is very good at breaking that down by the hour.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 am

You guys are right on that terrain and other things will change it at the stand site. I usually have an idea of those things going into known spots like this one.

This scenario had me within a few hundred yards of the bed and stand. Basically a hill top and field. Very consistent wind. I loop around the bed and walk down the road from where I park and hook in.

Knowing the wind was opposite of the forecast, I went to a different spot for the actual wind and it stayed through the entire evening.

Just thought the newer guys especially could benefit from the experience.

Milkweed is invaluable...I too toss it frequently..at the truck..as I walk in..from the stand through the hunt. Often hunt hills or ditches where thermals play a big role and milkweed helps a ton. There's been times that I had a pretty distinct line of where deer were certainly gunna cross and i had to make the decision to shoot prior to them getting near it.. without milkweed I'd never known where that line was.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:51 am

Checked 2 different wind forecast sources for saturday.....the both said complete opposite directions :think: :think: :think:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 am

Great info to share right now. The new guys excited to try the first bed hunt might not have thought this far through. The nuances and details are what separates the have's from the have nots.

Last season I approached a narrow ravine with a NW wind blowing my scent out behind me. ON PAPER IT WAS. Real world it was being pulled up in front of me. With a vacuum effect. Lesson learned when a deer blew out above me.
You don't know till you go.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:38 am

At least you didn't walk all the way to the top of a steep ridge hoping the wind would be blowing as forecast on top, just to get on top and it be opposite the forecast wind, and have to walk all the way down. Just to drive a couple miles away and hunt the top of another ridge where the wind was perfectly as forecast... :think: :think: :think:
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Checked 2 different wind forecast sources for saturday.....the both said complete opposite directions :think: :think: :think:

I ran into the same thing Monday evening. One source said SW which is a safe bet for my one good bedding area. Got there and it was straight East! Checked another app and it says E, the other SW :snooty:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”