QDMA: Yearling Buck Dispersal Stats

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

QDMA: Yearling Buck Dispersal Stats

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

I saw this today and thought it was a interesting & fun read. Hadnt seen it posted on here yet so figured id share.

https://www.qdma.com/yearling-buck-disp ... -how-many/

<DK>
500 Club

Re: QDMA: Yearling Buck Dispersal Stats

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I thought the 70% dispersal rate not changing based on density was interesting.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Wow pretty interesting
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Does anyone know why the other 30% dont disperse? I wonder if their mother dies or does not have fawns could be a reason.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 pm

HELENVILLEHUNTER wrote:Does anyone know why the other 30% dont disperse? I wonder if their mother dies or does not have fawns could be a reason.

I have seen collared studies that show if the doe was killed while the buck was a button he does not disperse. Also read a good article one time how once a dispersed buck gets big enough to hold his ground he will return to the area he was born and develop 2 different home ranges.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Hmmmm. Interesting. This calls into question the validity of managing for genetics. By doing so you are only improving the gene pool on your neighbor's property. Of course, when those improved bucks breed, there is a chance the yearling might disperse to your property. So the only real reason to "cull" a buck would be to make room for a dispersed yearling.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 am

fireforeffect wrote:Hmmmm. Interesting. This calls into question the validity of managing for genetics. By doing so you are only improving the gene pool on your neighbor's property. Of course, when those improved bucks breed, there is a chance the yearling might disperse to your property. So the only real reason to "cull" a buck would be to make room for a dispersed yearling.

Wow that is interesting thought! One thing that caught me was that one of those pics showed the max travel recorded was 131miles in the Daktotas. Combined w the average speed and the fact that most of the bucks traveled in a straight line...that is impressive
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

HELENVILLEHUNTER wrote:Does anyone know why the other 30% dont disperse? I wonder if their mother dies or does not have fawns could be a reason.

The mother dying could definitely result in the buck not dispersing.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:37 am

Boogieman1 wrote:

I have seen collared studies that show if the doe was killed while the buck was a button he does not disperse. Also read a good article one time how once a dispersed buck gets big enough to hold his ground he will return to the area he was born and develop 2 different home ranges.

I read something some bucks will return to their birth ranges for summer then shift to their fall home ranges for breeding. I've heard of wounded bucks returning to their possible birth ranges also
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 am

Always amazes me at how far some deer travel
HELENVILLEHUNTER

Unread postby HELENVILLEHUNTER » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
fireforeffect wrote:Hmmmm. Interesting. This calls into question the validity of managing for genetics. By doing so you are only improving the gene pool on your neighbor's property. Of course, when those improved bucks breed, there is a chance the yearling might disperse to your property. So the only real reason to "cull" a buck would be to make room for a dispersed yearling.

Wow that is interesting thought! One thing that caught me was that one of those pics showed the max travel recorded was 131miles in the Daktotas. Combined w the average speed and the fact that most of the bucks traveled in a straight line...that is impressive

I agree, the 131 miles is amazing. If they move that far in Wisconsin I can only hope that some of the bucks from Buffalo County start working their way over to my property then!!
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Am I reading this right...my takeaways...
hypothetically, If you let a spike or 4 ptr go in its first year of horns, there is a good chance it will disperse and move to a new home range. If you let a racked buck (at least 2.5 y.o.) walk because he needs to grow or has good genetics, it is likely that you are in that deer’s home range since he has likely already dispersed to your area, and will stay and live there.

Also, the really young bucks we see in october will likely be different than the really young bucks we see in mid-late november, as most will disperse in around the rut pressure. The october bucks dispersed away while new ones dispersed to your area.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 pm

I've been watching a buck the last 2 years. he was a 1 1/2 year old last year with a small 6 point rack. he stayef around all summer and was NEVER spotted without his twin sister. He finally disappeared when the rut kicked in. After the rut was over he returned for the winter. He is still in the area now as a 2 1/2 with a bigger 6 point rack. no brows. He is no longer with his sister anymore. actually, not since the rut last year. I dont see him real often so I assume his core area is shifted a bit but close by.
By the way, his mom is alive and well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”