The LiL Buddy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

The LiL Buddy

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

As Im stuck on a long graveyard shift tonight, I was dwelling on all the good bucks that have escaped my arrow and the reasons why. Hands down without a doubt the thing other than wind that has cost me more bucks than anything is that dang lil buddy. You know that spindly little 1.5 year old forky that hangs out with the big dawg. He's eithier got far enough past me to get a wiff before the big boy hits my shot lane, catches me on the draw or simply plays decoy while my buck slips out the back door.
I ponder how does nature go about picking this young companion? Is it for non threatening company, protection or just passing on survival skills. I personally think a little of all 3. These "chosen ones" have a far better chance of survival than there counterparts who spend there days with doe family groups.

6 or 7 years ago I hunted a small track of private, mainly open woods with one ridge that separated property lines. On oposite side of ridge on neighbors property was a corn feeder I hung a stand on the leeward side. Don't have to be a genius to see the pattern develop. Those cruising bucks would sent check religiously from the safety of downwind side of ridge. There was one buck who did things differently, he figured out how to get the does b4 getting to the feeder and never expose himself at all. And u guest it, had a lil buddy! Long story short I never got him a local shot him from his back porch while he fed in a wheat field late season 200 yards away. However, 2 years later hunting same stand I look up to a upwind high hump that this buck used to ambush does and there stood another impressive buck doing the exact same thing. I like to think it was that same lil buddy from years before doing what he was taught.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”