I need your help please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

I need your help please

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 am

So yesterday afternoon while setting up my stand I bumped the largest buck I've ever seen hunting out of his bed. I had no clue the bed was there. Good news is he didn't run,blow, or seem sketched out in the least. He just kinda walked out of there.
I made a diagram of the area and my scenario from yesterday. after the encounter I stayed on stand till I ran out of light in hopes that he would j-hook back to the area and give me a shot. He never showed. I'm going to go back this afternoon but would love some pointers on how I should set up.

So here is my scenario:

Yellow star and orange arrow are the bed I jumped him in and the route he left. I only saw him for a second and lost him in the tall golden rod and foliage.

Red star is my stand placement and the green arrows are my access route.

The hardwoods are made up of mostly red/white oak, hickory and maple trees.

Blue arrows is the wind direction that was blowing. Should be pretty much the same today but could be different when I get there.

Another pointer is that NOBODY HUNTS HERE!

I've spent time scouting this area and have only found 2 ladder stand, but have never seen anyone in there.

If you could help me out that would be great. I would love to get this buck.

Joe™
Edcyclopedia

Re: I need your help please

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:44 am

Looks like your scent is tipping him off...

Can you either loop around to the west for your approach
or
hike an extra 300 yards north before cutting westerly and then drop south to your stand
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:48 am

I was thinking that as well, but I'm not sure where he goes when he leaves his bed. I was thinking about walking down the left side of the field and or possibly setting up on that transition and just watching that bed for a few hours. I just don't know if he enters the woods I was set up in yesterday to feed on oaks, or cuts across that field to the oaks on that side.
Joe™
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 am

Not a lot to add other than that I do not think he saw you, but rather caught your scent and quietly slipped away. I would like to think that since he didn't snort and run out there that he'll be back. Good luck!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am

I really hope so. I think I'm just going to glass the bed most of the afternoon and if he is in there I'll adjust my stand and just cross my fingers we have an encounter.
Joe™
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:43 am

Can you glass from the downwind side of golden rod or is it too tall?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 am

PK_ wrote:Can you glass from the downwind side of golden rod or is it too tall?

It's pretty tall and going to be tuff, but I think if I watch it long enough he's bound to make some movement I will pick up on. That's what my plan is. I just hope he's there again.
Joe™
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 am

I feel certian that he got your wind but had no clue you where that close! There are alot of people on here alot smarter than me that might say diffrent, but i think he is coming into the bed from the field( maybe from the private). 9 out 10 times its right at day light, and has wind advantage for that bed that way. Something else he is probably browsing before bedding then walking strait into the bed. How worn does the bed look? If thats a NE wind he shouldnt be bedded there that often,but at least you have a idea when he might be there, if you dont have luck seeing him this afternoon. Another thing you know he is in that area pretty close. There should be more bedding around for diffrent winds. Now you just gotta hope he is not one of those bucks that vaccates a spot never to return!

I think i would loop in around the other side of the field and setup about where your that west side blue arrow crosses the black line just a lil futher in, if cover will let you,i would put having cover first! I think he would be heading that direction from bedding to the hardwoods. That also depends on what is on the private food wise. That would be something to consider as well!! Thats the best advise i give with no topo or areriel. Good luck i hope you have a chance at him!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
PK_ wrote:Can you glass from the downwind side of golden rod or is it too tall?

It's pretty tall and going to be tuff, but I think if I watch it long enough he's bound to make some movement I will pick up on. That's what my plan is. I just hope he's there again.

I don't know jack about big bucks. I've never even killed a buck before. But I'm good at chess. Strategically speaking you all but have this buck in check mate right now.

- If the golden rod is so tall that you're not sure you can see him while he's bedded down, then the converse is also true; he cannot see you climb into a tree while he's in that bed.
- You know exactly where his bed is. So you can be more sneaky and confident when setting up, and get as close as possible.
- You know he's currently using that bed; you know where he is (hot sign). Don't they say half the battle in killing a big deer is finding one? Or was it 95% of the battle?
- You know what wind he is definitely bedding there on, if not also other winds. Maybe you should check weather archives for that day and see what the wind was at 3am-4am that morning, since that was likely the wind that caused him to go to that bed.

Like I said, I've never killed a buck before. But if I were in your shoes I'd be going in there on the next NE wind (or whatever the verdict is for wind direction after checking the wind archives for the day of your sighting), binoculars and bow in hand, stand on back, planning to set up somewhere with good cover. You know exactly how high in the tree you can get; as high as you can go without seeing him over the goldenrod, or vis versa. Treat the hunt like it's a kill hunt. I'd look around the downwind edge of that field and you might get lucky and find an exit trail. In this case, checkmate. If you don't find a trail, then you sit back and let him show you his exit trail. Then it's checkmate on the next hunt.

Good luck friend.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Well I watched this bed for almost 5 hours today from about 80 yards away. Didn't see any movement and almost made myself sick looking threw the binos so long.
Eventually I left the area because a guy and 2 kids came threw hunting squirrels and firing an awful lot of shots. With shotguns...
I think I'll give him a break for a few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
Joe™
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm

It looks like you were hunting that stand with the wrong wind. That buck was bedded on the edge for the exact reason he busted you. The deer will bed in that goldenrod and be very wary of the hardwoods as that where it seems the pressure is coming from. Hunt so the wind isn’t blowing into the field where they are bedded
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 am

Outdoor814 wrote:<snip>I think I'll give him a break for a few weeks and see what happens.<snip>

He'll be gone in a few weeks. The biggest take away from any advice someone can give you is that you know where he is, right now. Food sources will change soon, and he'll move. His balls will swell soon, and he'll move. I learned that one the hard way last year.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 am

matt1336 wrote:It looks like you were hunting that stand with the wrong wind. That buck was bedded on the edge for the exact reason he busted you. The deer will bed in that goldenrod and be very wary of the hardwoods as that where it seems the pressure is coming from. Hunt so the wind isn’t blowing into the field where they are bedded

I had scouted this place before and had never thought twice about searching where he was bedded. I guess you could classify it as one of those overlooked spots. Had I known he was bedded there I would never have set up where I did.
Joe™
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 am

I there any way to set-up on his exit route on the ground in the goldenrod? Kinda like a ground set-up in cattails. Maybe cut a small shooting lane on a windy?day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”