One WEEK is all you have!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

One WEEK is all you have!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm

I am not one of the guys that can get out very often to put time in the tree stand. I am sure a lot of the beast members fall into this category. I have a wife and 2 small kids 9 & 8 both of which are very active in sports year round. I work an average of 50hrs a week (some more some less) my wife also works full time. I work a swing schedule where I have 2 weeks of Monday-Friday 8-5 then 2 weeks of Tuesday-Friday 10-7. So I miss some of my kids games and tournaments and it really sucks. It also really henders my time in the woods as I do not get to spend a lot of time with my wife either during the week, and of course when I have the time to want to go get in the tree she thinks I would rather spend time in the woods than be with her. (Again I am sure other beasts have the same issue.)

So I ask you guys if you had only one week to get it done when would be your week?

After being a member here on the beast I am tempted to say that I would prefer the first week of the season due to the lack of pressure and having the element of surprise. My season here where I live bow season opens the second Saturday of September. I try my best to only tag 3.5 year old bucks or better in my neck of the woods and doing so put me into a 5 year skid of buck tag soup so on my 6th sit of last year I put an arrow through the heart of a beautiful 2.5 year old 6pt in the middle of our rifle season, which was also my first bowkill while wearing orange. In reality I may get to hit the woods 10 times durinng our almost 4 month long season and I know that my odds at a true mature buck decreases with lack of stand time even if they are all on good buck beds so I am beginning to not be so picky anymore. Sorry to get off on a little rant.

So which week would you pick or time of season?? Early Rut, or late season?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: One WEEK is all you have!!

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Early Rut would be my pick. Oct30-nov5.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Maybe some will disagree with me and for a number of reasons but if I had to bank a small amount of tree time down to one week. It would probably be the last week of October. October 26-Nov1. The whole month of November is as good as any but Though the years of trail cam history. I always have a bunch of 3.5+ year old bucks cruising daylight during this time. Again after NoV 12-17 is another time when the big ones seem to be moving greater distances.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:12 pm

I would choose the first full week of November. There’s just something about that time of year. You never know what may show up.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I would choose a rut hunt unless I had one particular buck in mind, then I'd choose early season.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:11 pm

November 2-10
Persistence pays!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I struggle filling my tag with 35 days to hunt so I wouldn't be any help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ccwalker
Facebook: Pinemartenpossibles

Unread postby Ccwalker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Interesting thread, I have roughly a dozen sits I can fit in this year and have blown 2 of them already in the early season. Here in Minnesota gun opens first weekend in November, so I’ve always tried to be done before then. I have the next 3 weekends planned to hunt, but I’m really banking on the last weekend of the month. My daughters want me home for Halloween so that will be it. I have had pretty good luck this time, seems to get better the closer it gets to gun opener. Cold fronts, moon phases, barameter, even trail cam pics of daylight movement doesn’t really pertain to me. Just when life has an opening. I suppose I could negotiate a specific week with no other hunting, but just can’t bear not being out there now and then throughout our 3 month season...
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm

In the midwest, first week of November......can always count on action year after year.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

I like the last week of October first week of November. This year I'm off from oct 26th to Nov 6th. Our shotgun season here really messes things up it starts the 2nd Fri in November.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Dedicate a week during the rut and don't leave the woods
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am

Here in NY gun season opens the first saturday after Nov 15th. I always took the first week of November off and had good success
I take my Bowhunting seriously
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 am

Hawthorne wrote:Early Rut would be my pick. Oct30-nov5.

x2
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 am

I literally just reviewed 1000s of trail cam pics from the passed few years.

They are somewhat biased because they are mostly over scrapes...but I will echo Nocturnal. The last week of October seems to be the best daylight movement.

They are somewhat biased again because the areas I hunt are notorious for noone hunting till about Halloween...I am a bit convinced that the pressure spike hampers daytime movement.

I seem to get more movement of bigger/older bucks through November. Especially later.

I think the seasonal change plays a role too. Right around that week it's often some of the first cooler weather..leaves are dropping heavy..food sources are changing etc.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Early Rut would be my pick. Oct30-nov5.

x2

I have this week off this year. Hoping the weather cooperates!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”