Do you remember all your kills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Do you remember all your kills?

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 am

muddy wrote:I have photos of most everything. One glance brings em back

Same here. I take great care to take at least one photograph of each big game kill no matter doe or buck and I put them in a journal like this:

I know that one day when I can't hunt anymore, those pictures will be all I have left to get me back out in the fall woods. I also like to think that when I'm gone, my great great grandkids will happen across these journals from old granddad and admire my kills. :lol:

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 am

Interesting that you guys are taking notes like that. I definitely do not remember all my kills. I have shot somewhere between 80-90 deer with a bow in 45 years of deer hunting, I do not remember most of them. In fact I do not even remember the first deer I ever got, which some people think is nuts. Anyway, I am thinking about the next one, not the ones in the past.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 am

Yep...I remember every one of my buck kills! Those are the ones that really stick in my mind.

I love thinking back on some of my first kills when I was young. I had no idea what I was doing, but still somehow got it done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

tgreeno wrote:Yep...I remember every one of my buck kills! Those are the ones that really stick in my mind.

I love thinking back on some of my first kills when I was young. I had no idea what I was doing, but still somehow got it done.

The great thing about keeping track of all the details even on the very early kills is looking back you see certain patterns develop. We think we didn’t know what we were doing back then but in reality we unknowingly did everything right. I look back on those kills now knowing all the details of that hunt then apply it to what I learned since then with scouting and it all makes sense now. I hate to just call my early hunts beginners luck because there is a reason for everything happening. Every hunt is a lesson learned and the more you break it down the more sense it makes.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

Amazing you guys have shot so many deer.

Kinda embarrassing only shot a few small ones until I began hunting 3 year olds and older.

I think I'm the only hunter that's never killed a doe never needed the meat and the deer population where I hunt has very few deer about 12 per square mile.

So I figured why hurt my future buck's by killing the does.

No one ever forgets the first deer.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
jeff315131
Facebook: jeff315131

Unread postby jeff315131 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am

Easy since I have only had 2 lol.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes, I can remember them them all! What it was, time of the season, time of day etc.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Yep. I remember them all. Total deer kills for me is 36. The bow kills are the most memorable for me. I've killed 22 with the bow (11 buck and 11 doe). Lots of great times spent in the woods.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Kentucky went to Tele-check system around 2001. Upon request they can give you a print out of all your checked animals. Just seeing the dates brings back a lot of the memories for me.

Other states may be similar.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm

It's kind of like all of like trying to remember all of your ex girlfriends. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”