My new 2cents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

My new 2cents

Unread postby northeast beast » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 am

For the newer beasts guys like myself just wanted to share...this year I spent all seasons learning the hill country scouting dvds books podcasts all of it...set up on some doe bedding this weekend trying to fill a tag and plan how the wind and terrain are going to have the bucks checking that bedding during rut
My observations:
1. Wind in the bottoms swirls horrible and no suprise I see few deer down there
2. When the wind was coming up over the hill(learward side) I saw deer. When it was the opposite I saw nothing
3. If I did not start a journal I would have not had all the info out in front of me to realise the deer move those hill and bed specifically based on wind. (Which put the research in front of me proving hI'll country beast guys know what's going on! That's all for now it was cool to see the light bulb go on and have that ahh ha this is what they are talking about ) now I just need to fill that tag

<DK>
500 Club

Re: My new 2cents

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:16 am

8-) Those moments are some of the best feelings
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 am

Keeping a journal is one thing I found that really helped me. I use two, one for hunts and one for scouting. The scouting one really comes in handy when your hunting a new place and scouted it months before.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:43 am

I lost my phone coon hunting and that's how I kept track of things on here and my journal. Well my journal went to the wayside and now I'm just keeping important notes.

I see Dan always updating his journal at 330 am and I'm thinking, "Does he ever freaking sleep." :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 am

BA-IV wrote:I lost my phone coon hunting and that's how I kept track of things on here and my journal. Well my journal went to the wayside and now I'm just keeping important notes.

I see Dan always updating his journal at 330 am and I'm thinking, "Does he ever freaking sleep." :lol:

No time for sleep when there's bucks getting free rides out there! :D 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
BA-IV wrote:I lost my phone coon hunting and that's how I kept track of things on here and my journal. Well my journal went to the wayside and now I'm just keeping important notes.

No time for sleep when there's bucks getting free rides out there! :D 8-)

SLEEP? Sleep is for weak minded individuals whom need that sort of thing!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:38 am

northeast beast wrote:For the newer beasts guys like myself just wanted to share...this year I spent all seasons learning the hill country scouting dvds books podcasts all of it...set up on some doe bedding this weekend trying to fill a tag and plan how the wind and terrain are going to have the bucks checking that bedding during rut
My observations:
2. When the wind was coming up over the hill(learward side) I saw deer. When it was the opposite I saw nothing
3. If I did not start a journal I would have not had all the info out in front of me to realise the deer move those hill and bed specifically based on wind. (Which put the research in front of me proving hI'll country beast guys know what's going on! That's all for now it was cool to see the light bulb go on and have that ahh ha this is what they are talking about ) now I just need to fill that tag

This is a great post to me because I like to see people who listen, but test theories and learn from the deer. This way we keep learning and exposing bad habits and misbeliefs. dON'T TRUST EVWERYTHING YOU HEAR OR READ, test it, and find out for yourself!
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 am

Awesome, hope u get one up on that state land bud good luck to you
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 am

dan wrote:
northeast beast wrote:For the newer beasts guys like myself just wanted to share...this year I spent all seasons learning the hill country scouting dvds books podcasts all of it...set up on some doe bedding this weekend trying to fill a tag and plan how the wind and terrain are going to have the bucks checking that bedding during rut
My observations:

This is a great post to me because I like to see people who listen, but test theories and learn from the deer. This way we keep learning and exposing bad habits and misbeliefs. dON'T TRUST EVWERYTHING YOU HEAR OR READ, test it, and find out for yourself!

Old habits die hard and that's how I ended up I a tree in the valley. I did learn my lesson though... that wind swirls all over there...horrible...it is difficult to give up some of these old bad habits is what I am finding. I don't know if I can sit next to a parking lot yet lol but I'm evolving
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 am

daveynewman wrote:Awesome, hope u get one up on that state land bud good luck to you

Thanks dave... Sat some new stuff I scouted this year by your place.....I'll be back in about a month I hope to fill that buck tag unless I can get one on my home turf before them .....good luck to you too!
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am

dan wrote:
My observations:

First year beast here as well. I've also started a journal which is definitely going to be a great tool for me as the season progresses. You're absolutely right about the wind in the valleys. I guess I always knew that the lower you went the more unpredictable the wind could be, but milkweed has really opened my eyes through the first week of the season. Something else I've noticed too is that those overlooked spots right next to the road Dan's always harping about seems to be the real deal. Best buck sign I've found all year has been 100 yards or less from a road. I've succeeded in finding a few beds. Always where everyone said they would be. Even saw a couple of shooters on opening day which was encouraging.

Beyond that though, it's been tough sledding. Opening day was the coolest day by far of the season. It's been 85-90 degrees since. There are acorns everywhere, and without a thermacell idk if I'd be able to hunt at all. I've also been using a hang on for the first time ever this year in order to be more versatile. I'm still trying to figure that out. It's pure comedy most of the time. I'm snapping twigs and banging stuff around. I'm not sure what type of black magic Dan uses to be as quiet as he is in those YouTube videos, but it's a complete mystery to me at this point.

Gonna keep plugging away though. I've sat different trees every hunt so far. Been more concious of the wind than ever before and I'm staying away from the open fields and timber and back in the thick. I always have a game plan now instead of sitting in the woods and hoping something good happens. Hopefully it pays off and I don't put too much pressure on myself like I'm notorious for doing. Can't wait to look back and see how this year turns out. Stay safe fellas and happy hunting!
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”