A reflection point

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Greg4579

A reflection point

Unread postby Greg4579 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 am

This far I am 7 sits in this season, which as many of you know is year one for me with a bow and that might as well be year one in general.

I was starting to find myself slightly discouraged after my last sit and I was reminded while watching something on Netflix of the success rate of wild predators.

I take solace in the fact that wolves are successful 14% of the time. They also have the advantage of hunting in a pack. Their existence relies on that kill. Mine does not.

This helped restore my positive mental attitude and I am looking forward to sit number 8 tomorrow evening.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: A reflection point

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:19 am

Greg4579 wrote:I take solace in the fact that wolves are successful 14% of the time. They also have the advantage of hunting in a pack. Their existence relies on that kill. Mine does not.

This helped restore my positive mental attitude and I am looking forward to sit number 8 tomorrow evening.

Good thought. Also, wolves are targeting the sick and the weak. We are targeting the elite animals. That changes the odds too. Keep after it
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am

Hang in there bud, if it was suppose to be easy there wouldn't be a need for high fences :mrgreen: Short term memory helps me, no matter how bad or how good a hunt was I don't dwell on it just keep chugging along. Enjoy the outdoors, learn something new and keep trying and sooner or later u will create your own luck.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 am

Gotta have fun. Every day is a new adventure. If your not having fun change it up a bit or do something other than hunting for a day. I’m gonna mix in some musky fishing this month and try not burn myself out with stand time before the rut marathon. This year I have 17 straight days off from Halloween on and plan on hunting every single minute if needed. If not succesful I will be then looking forward to late bow season after gun hunting.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am

Great post man! :handgestures-thumbupright: Ill take those odds for a buck. Like Dan talks about, keep a positive attitude and keep at it. Here soon action will pick up all over and will be a good time to dive in for aggressive morning sits. Concentrate on the WHYs when things happen or dont happen. When you get fed up, get some scouting in! Jump some deer man, figure them out but monitor the pressure you put on them. There was a thread awhile back about how many bucks a season beasts see. After 2 good seasons im at 1 in 3-5 sits or im getting ancy. So youre not by any means behind the pace and to be honest I havent seen a deer in the open anywhere in 4 plus weeks. Oaks are smoking hot right now in my area. Maybe consider check out new area w a stand on your back setup on some fresh sign. Iv seen scrapes on field edges starting to open as well. Stay strong for Oct tho, a lot of off season spots really heat up now. Good luck and im tuning in!
Last edited by <DK> on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am

It's all about enjoying the "ride"! My season has been lackluster so far, but it's a marathon not a sprint!

We all can't be like Maine. Having 2 brute's down by the 8th of Oct. :P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”