October hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sean952

October hunting

Unread postby Sean952 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 am

For those people that use scents either for cover or attractant what is the earliest in oct you will start using them?

PK_
500 Club

Re: October hunting

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 am

I don't use scents but I know some guys do and do very well. I would think it would be a good strategy about 30 days prior to peak breeding. I believe I read that some does will have a 'false estrous' or something of that nature.

I am sure somebody on here knows more than I do about it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:42 am

I rarely use scents and if I use any it's not until last week of October through first 2/3 weeks of November
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:47 am

I prefer a drag line and I always wait until it starts to get frosty. If i had a preference it would be in November, before rifle season.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am

I have never really had great luck with scents. Probably not using anything this year for the first time in a while.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't use scents either. I once met a guy that had a deer farm and sold Doe in estrous urine. When one of his does came in heat he bottled it and shipped it to you the same day. I got 3 bottles. When they arrived I put to bottles in the fridge and took the 3rd bottle to the woods.
Made a drag line. A basket rack 2 year old came through and walked right over the drag line. Never acted like he smelled a thing. I was always kind of skeptical of scents and after that never messed with them again.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:I prefer a drag line and I always wait until it starts to get frosty. If i had a preference it would be in November, before rifle season.

I have a couple of buddies that swear by drag lines. Have multiple bucks that followed the trail right to their tree.

No mature bucks but some very nice 2.5 yr old public bucks. They always liked late october up to gun season to use them
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I don't use any scents at all
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

In KY I have had a lot of luck during the rut gun hunt running drag line estrous. Killed both my 2013 and 2014 buck running a drag line and both where hot on my trail coming in. One of the problems is you are typically dragging the rag to your stand and down wind of you. So both times what worked for me and has in the past is coming in through the middle of a field from down wind travelling into the wind until I get even with my stand then turning and cutting across the field. I leave the rag 50 to 100 yards from my stand and continue on to my stand so i am not bringing a buck under my stand. That is during gun season and we at hunting farm land. I screwed it up a couple times bring the rag into my stand and had young bucks appear down wind of me despite knowing they could smell me. I rarely use any scent at all in FL it's just too thick to see before they get close. I have ran a drag a few times during gun season sitting an observation stand in fl and it's always been the 1.5 YOs that come into it.

For years I ran Tinks scent bombs at all times of the year and had more buck blow out then I can count. I gave up on scent outside the rut long before joining the beast from all the bad encounters.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Jonny wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:I prefer a drag line and I always wait until it starts to get frosty. If i had a preference it would be in November, before rifle season.

I have a couple of buddies that swear by drag lines. Have multiple bucks that followed the trail right to their tree.

No mature bucks but some very nice 2.5 yr old public bucks. They always liked late october up to gun season to use them

I have tried it twice by walking scrape lines to my spot and both times good bucks came in. I messed up both thpse opportunities but the point is that it all varies by scenario or location.

My younger cousin killed one of the oldest bucks on a property where everyone around was after the deer. All he knew was there were bucks around though and was just out to rifle hunt. I asked him how it happened, he used some doe scent bombs basically. But He told me that he basically slung doe urine all over the spot he was hunting. A ridiculous amount is what he said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”