Determining Yardage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dubbs

Determining Yardage

Unread postby dubbs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Does anyone have any tips for estimating the distance to your target in an open area, without using a range finder?

Tonight was the first time I have been able to get out hunting this year. I was setup on the edge of a hay field and had a really nice 8 point walk by. I shot low and grazed his front leg. The shot was clearly not a lethal hit and the deer showed no sign of injury as he ran off. I was thinking the deer was at 30 yards, but when I stepped it off to pick up my arrow it was about 40 yards. I had less than 30 seconds between seeing the deer and taking the shot. Had I known the shot was actually 40 yards I never would have taken it.

Normally when I set up completely in the woods, I pick out several trees or trails that mark my 10, 20 and 30 yard distances. But on the edge of an open field there aren't many points of reference to choose from. Any tips?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Determining Yardage

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 pm

If were talking about tree stand shooting, one thing is the angle of the bow. The more angle its probably 20 or closer. Slight tilt is around 30-35. If the bow is fairly straight, very slight tilt its 40 or more. Just based on 12-15ft stand height.

I did find this while browsing the world wide web. Its extra glow pins for the side of the site housing. Was curious if it worked or anyone had a review?
https://www.deadonrangefinder.com
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:23 pm

I use a range finder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:01 pm

From the ground I pick a landmark at 10 yards and then break it down using that for a reference. Pretty much what I do in 3D tournaments and it works pretty well for me. It’s a little harder from the tree so that’s why I always carry my rangefinder and basically range any larger trees or brush piles in my shooting range. Rarely have time to range a deer before the shot like they show on tv. When a deer shows up I already know the distance from memory since I ranged them already.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Dewey wrote:From the ground I pick a landmark at 10 yards and then break it down using that for a reference. Pretty much what I do in 3D tournaments and it works pretty well for me. It’s a little harder from the tree so that’s why I always carry my rangefinder and basically range any larger trees or brush piles in my shooting range. Rarely have time to range a deer before the shot like they show on tv. When a deer shows up I already know the distance from memory since I ranged them already.

I do the same.

When I first started bowhunting I was much better and ranging because I didn't have a rangefinder so I was constantly guestimating and walking off distances. Now I pre range when i get in my tree and sometimes it's just a different colored patch of weeds or grass dont always have trees in every direction, but usually have a stick or rock or tuft of grass.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm

I use a rangefinder as well but I always try to make a guess before hitting the button. I try to visualize the yardages I practice from in my yard (20-60) and I normally get pretty close. Sometimes right on the money. However, a buddy and I hunted CO this Sept for elk and I'm sure glad we had rangefinders. We were totally off when guess ranges. That terrain just messes with you.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 pm

I am absolutely terrible at guesstimating range, so it's a range finder for me lol!

Emrah
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm

This sight seems to get pretty good reviews on archery talk: http://www.ezvsight.com/

Emrah
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 am

Dewey wrote:From the ground I pick a landmark at 10 yards and then break it down using that for a reference. Pretty much what I do in 3D tournaments and it works pretty well for me. It’s a little harder from the tree so that’s why I always carry my rangefinder and basically range any larger trees or brush piles in my shooting range. Rarely have time to range a deer before the shot like they show on tv. When a deer shows up I already know the distance from memory since I ranged them already.

Exactly this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 am

Emrah wrote:This sight seems to get pretty good reviews on archery talk: http://www.ezvsight.com/

Emrah

Hey great share! That is interesting new sight, thank you I'll have to share that.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 am

tgreeno wrote:

Exactly this

X3

I would say when you get to the bottom of your tree start picking out tuff of grass or some sort of landmark and estimate it from there. Then you'll know from a flat standpoint, make your adjustments when in the stand depending on height and topography.

For turkey hunting last year I took a few logs and placed them in the field quickly then ranged them. Could do the same thing
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 am

I carry a junk arrow in my quiver and as I approach my tree, or after getting to base of tree i will back track 30 yds. and stick it in the ground. I always try to approach from downwind of my setup so deer shouldnt hit my ground scent until after I would have a shot at them anyway. I like 30 yds because I think it is easy to judge 20 or 40 off of that 1 arrow. The hardest part is you just have to use that arrow that is downwind to estimate distances upwind.
Slumpy

Unread postby Slumpy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 am

Darkknight54 wrote:If were talking about tree stand shooting, one thing is the angle of the bow. The more angle its probably 20 or closer. Slight tilt is around 30-35. If the bow is fairly straight, very slight tilt its 40 or more. Just based on 12-15ft stand height.

I did find this while browsing the world wide web. Its extra glow pins for the side of the site housing. Was curious if it worked or anyone had a review?

I had used this for several years with great success. I actually took model paint and painted the dots on my sight because the decal didn't fit my sight at the time.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:12 am

Before I carried a small range finder I always carried one arrow tipped with a Judo point. I always picked out a leaf or something on the ground, estimated my yardage and took a shot. That sort of calibrated me.

Obv not something to do while hunting over a buck bed but I cannot ever recall it spooking game. Just do it early before deer are moving.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 am

Slumpy wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:If were talking about tree stand shooting, one thing is the angle of the bow. The more angle its probably 20 or closer. Slight tilt is around 30-35. If the bow is fairly straight, very slight tilt its 40 or more. Just based on 12-15ft stand height.

I had used this for several years with great success. I actually took model paint and painted the dots on my sight because the decal didn't fit my sight at the time.

Great info and tip! Thank you

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”