Determining Yardage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackCoverBowHunter

Re: Determining Yardage

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:36 am

I range a tree at 25 yards. Make an imaginary circle around me and use that as my reference. I would do the same on a field edge. Find a clump of brown or I feature that was quick to recognize.

Extreme Effort Only
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 am

Range finder, range nearby trees. I also have a deadonrangefinder as well for kwik double check if at full draw and not sure.

https://www.deadonrangefinder.com/
dubbs

Unread postby dubbs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I think this buck just came in quick from an unexpected direction and rushed my thinking process. I'll make sure to estimate my distances in all directions from now on.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 am

As soon as in get setup in the tree I get the range finder out. I take a guess at the distance then range them. The more you do it the better you get. Like Dewey said I pick trees or some kinda landmark and use that for reference for when a deer comes in.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 am

Practice, practice, practice. My buddies and I play horse when we shoot our bows. This really helps with judging distances.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 am

Being new to bow hunting this year I picked up a rangefinder. One of the first things I do when I get into a tree is quickly pick out some landmarks and range them. Recently I have started to guess before ranging and I have become pretty impressed with my ability to do it on my own. Nonetheless, I just don't want to take a chance so I use the rangefinder.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am

before range finders I walked off distances to spots in my kill range LONG before the hunt month. You can mark those with spots on the ground already there, like a hole or bare spot, make an X in the dirt, or use flags like they use for marking your lawn when you are about to dig (the small colored flags for gas, electric, cable...) and I have those flags kept and ready for such an outing. Estimating is OK out to 30 yards, then the yards get way to important I've found. Range finder is an awesome invention and tool, and highly recommended!
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”