Open Prairie Whitetail Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Open Prairie Whitetail Hunting

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:54 pm

I live in ND and where I hunt it is really open country. I hunt both private and public and most of it is a mix of crop land, pasture and wetlands surrounded by cattails. Almost all of the deer bed in the cattails. Figuring out where the deer bed is pretty easy as its very open.

The hard part is hunting these deer bedded in the cattails. Many of the areas that hold deer are wide open with no trees for miles and surrounded by crop. Usually soybeans, canola, wheat, corn or sunflowers.

I see the largest bucks bedding in sloughs surrounded by soybeans. I have a number of nice deer on cameras at night but the only time I see these deer in daylight is no more than 50 yards from the cattails they bed in. Many of these bucks I may see for only a minute or two on the edge of the cattails at dark or very early morning. These cattail sloughs are a jungle.

How do I hunt these slough bedded bucks with no trees. Do I sneak right into the cattails and in their lap?

How do I hide and put myself in position to draw on a buck in this situation? Putting up a ground blind is like putting up a giant billboard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”