Sit or Stalk

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

g-inthewild

Sit or Stalk

Unread postby g-inthewild » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am

Hey Beasts,
Been out now for 4 hunts. Other than some scouting earlier, haven't seen deer while in the stand here in Missouri. Really been thinking to go really mobile and stalk, that way, if they aren't walking by the stand, at least I have a chance to find them.
Done some good scouting, and set up in really good spots (for me anyway) but the amount of energy and time to climb and set, not to mention moving, seems it might be better to go into stealth mode and go looking for them. Anyone done this and how was your luck.
I am totally light and mobile, using single anchor with webbing etrier and rock climbing harness. Once in tree, use a homemade saddle at the top of my anchor.
I know it's early (read hot and overgrown), but haven't seen anyone else. Haven't bumped anything going in either.
Just want to know what you guys think.

oldrank

Re: Sit or Stalk

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

I have spot n stalked fields alot. Ive killed a handful of deer that way. If you know where they r try it. Its just another tool in the bag. I just use terrain features n wind.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am

If you don't know where the deer are the first step is to find them. Get after 'em
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 am

I’ve been doing a lot more still hunting the past two seasons. My deer per hour of hunting is about 3x higher than if I’m sitting. You can get away with a lot more noise than you probably think you can. You just have to pause between steps. I hunt low density, it allows me to hit 2-3 areas instead of 1. Idk how I’d feel about it in a higher density area
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 am

I think stalking areas is an awesome way to in season scout and there is always a chance to get a shot at a target animal. Go slow and use binos! It can be very productive!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 am

I've had some excellent hunts still hunting, but I really pick my days. Has to be really windy, or else just rained and also some decent wind. If those conditions aren't met I stand hunt. My favorite hunts are still hunting in 30+mph winds. Deer sit tight and you can get right up on them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 am

Muddy is right on as usual. The right conditions and the right terrain can be deadly. I love to stalk the corn and cattails!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”