Tracking a bucks location

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

Tracking a bucks location

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 pm

The other night I was heading home and a nice buck crosses the road in front of Me the time was 3 hours after dark . My question is how do You track this deer,go back to that location and backtrack , and how far can a buck travel in 3 hours?

HBright78

Re: Tracking a bucks location

Unread postby HBright78 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 pm

ridgerunner8 wrote:The other night I was heading home and a nice buck crosses the road in front of Me the time was 3 hours after dark . My question is how do You track this deer,go back to that location and backtrack , and how far can a buck travel in 3 hours?

IMO you just have to start making logical deductions and test them. 3 hours is a long time, but with satellite maps and your knowledge of the terrain, food, and other features you should be bale to come up with a hypothesis then scout it accordingly. In my area right now is all about the acorns. Bucks are eating acorns as soon as they get out of their beds so I believe that movement over a 3 hour period would actually be relatively minimal.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:02 am

ridgerunner8 wrote:The other night I was heading home and a nice buck crosses the road in front of Me the time was 3 hours after dark . My question is how do You track this deer,go back to that location and backtrack , and how far can a buck travel in 3 hours?

Good post HBright78

They can get a long way in that amount of time depending on his goals but they can also get up to feed for that amount of time before venturing out. IDK if all this land is huntable but the best part of your story is that you know which side of the road he was NOT utilizing before he can be killed. Which is better than catching a random track in the middle of nowhere. Id pull up the wind direction for that entire day, try to reference bedding locations on a map or low wet area to catch a track. He could be a ways off from the road or he could hang up feeding on that side until around the time of evening you saw him. Maybe he knows traffic slows down later in the evening or it was just random? Depending on the full situation... could be something, could be nothing. One thing I would try to do is go try to catch his track by the road, take a pic for future reference. Also check both sides of the road for trails/sign to start a game plan.

After all that though I would try to back track him. This could be a situation where you gotta scout w stand on your back and hunt hot sign bc its season.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 am

I think the answer you are looking for is pretty much written out for you. You know there is a buck. You know where he was. You know the direction of travel. You know way more than if you hadn't seen the buck. Now it's up to you to figure out more pieces of the puzzle. What can you do to narrow the bucks activity further?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Like dark knight said, scout with stand on back because it's the season but before that, look at aerial maps and look far the dense areas close by but how do You check the wind from the other day. Thanks Guys
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

https://www.wunderground.com/

This resource is very good when reviewing trail cam pics. Priceless, honestly since so much of deer movement is weather dependent .
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”