Buck down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wheattaco

Buck down

Unread postby wheattaco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Long asp time lurker. Just recently signed up. I love reading ur guys stuff. So anyhow long story made long. I'm in the Xxxxxzz hunt. This is my fourth year in the hunt. Have always killed a minimum of two deer. I hunt the outer most edge witch is shockingly in city limits to most rifle hunters. It's very frustrating come rifle season. Only good part is that I hunt way back in the thickets.
So we are earn a buck. Sunday of opener I have a doe come in. She makes it within 22 yards starts getting goofy and bounds off ten yards. My makes a marginal at best shot on her. I leave her and come back next morning. Minor chews on her rib cage. Found her right where I last seen her. So now I earn my buck tag.
27th. My dad and I go out. He says he going way back to sleven stand. I say I'll bring climber to apple tree. I'm expecting a doe or nothing. We get to park and I say omg I forgot my coat. What do u have. He says just my sweatshirt. I say how cold I think it will get. He says ah you will be fine. Mind u I have a tiny t shirt on. Ok let's go. It's 60.
About five thirty comes around and I'm buried with my arms in my pants. It's getting cold. I'm sitting over the apple tree kinda but north of it. About six thirty I have my arms down my pant legs and I hear a crunch crunch. Well that's not a squirrel. I turn around and boom. Deer under apple tree. I can't make out the head. But sure looks like a buck. It's digging in the tree and chowing apples. I pull out binos. It's a buck. Oh crap. It's a decent buck. I spin completely around in my stand and start watching. That looks like straight eight. My second biggest on camera.
Straight eight gives up on the high not ripe apples. I range him 38 yards. Ok he is calm and moving my way ever so slowly. I see his brows and say I know that's not junior. I was not gonna shoot junior. But straight eight or triple tine yes. I keep watching with binos. That has to be straight eight. He is slowly feeding my way. I measure and measure him. 32 yards at a stump. He stops and turns perfect broadside. He just eating away. I pull back. Settle pin and release. Smack. Perfect hit. Right behind shoulder. He bound off thirty yards and stops. I pull up binos and watch him stand there. Eventually his rack disappears.
He must be dead right there. I pounded him right behind the shoulder. I'm so proud of my shot. I know he one my smaller bucks but I don't care. I live for this monoment. Text my old man. Half hour later he comes up. We go to where I seen him. Blood everywhere. Ok look for body. No luck. Wdf he should be right here. Nothing. It's getting dark. No more bloood. Wdf. Getn pissed. Nothing. Go drive home an hour for "backup". Come back. Backup doesn't find him. Ok leave for tonite
Next morning grab my help and resource. We grid search for an hour where hebwent in the woods with no success. Tracker says um one ur resources wants to go up the pit. Ok. Fine. I say. I'll walk up there. I climb this giant pit and start looking around. Walk to way back side and see a red spot. I thought that's odd. Let's go check that. Walk down and one my trackers was on it. Come up and there he lay. Can't believe how far he went with that shot.

wolfie729
500 Club

Re: Buck down

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Nice work post pics!
Earn what’s never given.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Congratulations but you’re in violation of forum rules....post a pic of the buck or we don’t believe you! :snooty:
wheattaco

Unread postby wheattaco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm

wheattaco wrote:Long asp time lurker. Just recently signed up. I love reading ur guys stuff. So anyhow long story made long. I'm in the Xxxxxzz hunt. This is my fourth year in the hunt. Have always killed a minimum of two deer. I hunt the outer most edge witch is shockingly in city limits to most rifle hunters. It's very frustrating come rifle season. Only good part is that I hunt way back in the thickets.
So we are earn a buck. Sunday of opener I have a doe come in. She makes it within 22 yards starts getting goofy and bounds off ten yards. My makes a marginal at best shot on her. I leave her and come back next morning. Minor chews on her rib cage. Found her right where I last seen her. So now I earn my buck tag.
27th. My dad and I go out. He says he going way back to sleven stand. I say I'll bring climber to apple tree. I'm expecting a doe or nothing. We get to park and I say omg I forgot my coat. What do u have. He says just my sweatshirt. I say how cold I think it will get. He says ah you will be fine. Mind u I have a tiny t shirt on. Ok let's go. It's 60.
About five thirty comes around and I'm buried with my arms in my pants. It's getting cold. I'm sitting over the apple tree kinda but north of it. About six thirty I have my arms down my pant legs and I hear a crunch crunch. Well that's not a squirrel. I turn around and boom. Deer under apple tree. I can't make out the head. But sure looks like a buck. It's digging in the tree and chowing apples. I pull out binos. It's a buck. Oh crap. It's a decent buck. I spin completely around in my stand and start watching. That looks like straight eight. My second biggest on camera.
Straight eight gives up on the high not ripe apples. I range him 38 yards. Ok he is calm and moving my way ever so slowly. I see his brows and say I know that's not junior. I was not gonna shoot junior. But straight eight or triple tine yes. I keep watching with binos. That has to be straight eight. He is slowly feeding my way. I measure and measure him. 32 yards at a stump. He stops and turns perfect broadside. He just eating away. I pull back. Settle pin and release. Smack. Perfect hit. Right behind shoulder. He bound off thirty yards and stops. I pull up binos and watch him stand there. Eventually his rack disappears.
He must be dead right there. I pounded him right behind the shoulder. I'm so proud of my shot. I know he one my smaller bucks but I don't care. I live for this monoment. Text my old man. Half hour later he comes up. We go to where I seen him. Blood everywhere. Ok look for body. No luck. Wdf he should be right here. Nothing. It's getting dark. No more bloood. Wdf. Getn pissed. Nothing. Go drive home an hour for "backup". Come back. Backup doesn't find him. Ok leave for tonite
Next morning grab my help and resource. We grid search for an hour where hebwent in the woods with no success. Tracker says um one ur resources wants to go up the pit. Ok. Fine. I say. I'll walk up there. I climb this giant pit and start looking around. Walk to way back side and see a red spot. I thought that's odd. Let's go check that. Walk down and one my trackers was on it. Come up and there he lay. Can't believe how far he went with that shot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 am

Pics?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:26 am

Way to tough it out man. Exposed skin when the sun goes down sucks!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”