Using Deer Trails as Access to a Spot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

weatherdude

Using Deer Trails as Access to a Spot

Unread postby weatherdude » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 am

I went out on a new piece of public last week and walked into an area that I had done some satellite scouting of. It was so thick that the only way I could move through it in any kind of timely manner was by walking down what appeared to be some heavily used deer trails. Has anyone else ever done this? Do you think it would be too much of a disturbance to do this more than a time or two since I'm moving through an obvious regular travel corridor? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dewey

Re: Using Deer Trails as Access to a Spot

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:55 am

In thick cattails deer trails are really the only way to get around. Otherwise in more open areas I try to stay off the trails and walk downwind of them if possible. Problem with that is bucks tend to parallel these heavy trails too with their own light trail. Always have to be aware of what the sign tells you.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Using Deer Trails as Access to a Spot

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Good post Dewey.

Sometimes it's the only way in but its not pretty results. Id have to be pretty confident no bucks are traveling from the direction of access. Otherwise if they are coming from diff direction approaching it, once they catch that first whiff where the arrow better already be ready to fly. They get ancy quick. Not even actually walking the trail like your example but a straight line across can get picked up quickly.

I suppose my advice is be sure that is the only spot to be successful in that location. If so, choose days wisely to gain free ground scent passes. Possibly a decent rain is coming when you access or coming through after dark. Or maybe its a stronger windy day, so the scent wont stick to the ground as long. Both scenarios can allow for a quieter entry if its thick & loud getting in. :twocents-twocents:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”