Rut cruising in or around marsh/cattails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bhuntin252

Rut cruising in or around marsh/cattails

Unread postby bhuntin252 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 am

Hey Guys

I just wanted to get an idea of what you guys see for rut cruising either in or on the edge of marsh or cattails? I have watched dans marsh video but don't remember off top of my head what he had to say about it, I'll have to go back and watch it again.

I'm looking at an area right now on aerials that has a marsh to the north and a river to the south with timber in between. There is not much for islands in this marsh, just a few points that go into the marsh. I'm hesitant to post a photo as it's public and could be easy to find if someone was semi familiar with the area. The narrowest stretch of timber between the marsh and river is probably 250-300 yards so it's not possible to cover this whole area with a bow. Given a north wind how close to the marsh would you set up to potentially catch a buck cruising the down wind side of the marsh? I have not put boots on the ground to this area just doing cyber scouting at this point and trying to formulate a game plan as I will most likely go in blind to this location.

Thanks for the help guys.

phade
500 Club

Re: Rut cruising in or around marsh/cattails

Unread postby phade » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:52 am

If the timber section is not that wide and has some protection based on how you described it, you might find the bucks are using all or portions of that timber to cruise - especially if the wind is blowing from marsh through timber to river (hard edge). I'd still walk the edges jutting out from a scouting perspective. Hunting wise, you could try scouting with a stand on your back and hunt the hot sign.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”