Buck Bedding shifts due to waterfall hunting pressure.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bedbug

Buck Bedding shifts due to waterfall hunting pressure.

Unread postby Bedbug » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 am

I'm looking for Intel from others experience with swamp/marsh bedding being pressured by water fall season. Mature buck bedding specifically. Public land in my case but what anyone's.

My situation:. This spring located a mature buck bed on an elevated point into the cattail marsh. Hands down one of the best I've ever seen for too many reasons to list. I was able to glass it being used (Aug 22) and quickly decided i located my number 1 target buck
Long story short 1st moved in too hunt him (Sep 23) surprised to find no active sign for at least two weeks.
The point is about 100 yards from open water that does get used annually by duck hunters. The youth water fall opened mid september fallowed a week later by full opener.
I've mostly ruled out the many other reasons for why its been abandon.
I'm curious for others experiences and opinion on the odds of him using it again this year.

Bedbug

Re: Buck Bedding shifts due to waterfall hunting pressure.

Unread postby Bedbug » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 am

Also this is my first post on HB thanks guys for all the awesome knowledge you share. I feel like I've found my long lost family!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

Welcome to the BEAST 8-)

He may be back after waterfowl closes... He is likely still in the area, just not as close to the duck hunters.
G.Tubbs
Facebook: /greg.tubbs.7

Unread postby G.Tubbs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am

dan wrote:Welcome to the BEAST 8-)

He may be back after waterfowl closes... He is likely still in the area, just not as close to the duck hunters.

I hunt in a marsh similar to this and can say from my very little experience that the deer are still there. They just moved slightly off to where the duck or pheasant hunters aren't.
If you put your time in to an area you will be able to know where the deer moves to under pressure.
Big Ben

Unread postby Big Ben » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 pm

I hunted a marsh on Thursday Sept 28th and seen a nice buck (150ish inch) get out of his bed 1 hour before dark and work his way towards me, but out of range. 2 days later I had a perfect South wind on Sept 30th (duck opener) I moved in closer to where he exited his bed. Only to see when I got set up there were duck hunters out in the marsh...they didn't shoot much, but after a few of the guys went back to their vehicle for more supplies they walked roughly 50-75 yards from his bed. Either they bumped him out before I got there, or he hunkered down that night till after dark.. I'm going to try that spot once more again on a weekday hoping there isn't duck hunters out...if he doesn't show himself, then I can only assume the duck hunters forced him into a new bedding area:(

And thanks to Dan and his videos I was able to even see this buck. As he is bedded only about 50 yards from the road...in the past I would have never hunted this close to the road!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”