Hot sign question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Hot sign question

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 am

As I was coming out from hunting this morning I noticed 3 scrapes in a row that weren't there yesterday. Over the past couple years I've noticed them in this same area before. I have a few questions... if scrapes are done mostly at night what makes hunting these so appealing when they first open up? I thought about hunting it this evening but It's going to be 70 degrees here soon and dropping to about 60 at dark, do you think that effects anything? Oh, and I peed in one of the scrapes because I've heard of this tactic before and I like experimenting. Hopefully that's not gonna kill any chance I may have had.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hot sign question

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 am

I would need evidence that they were probably made in daylight, like on the exit of either known, or likely bedding.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:01 am

I think it's the proximity to bedding that's the important part of "hot sign"! Fresh scrapes on an exit trail from bedding...Yes. Fresh scrapes on a field edge...No.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 am

I believe bedding is possible 300-500 yards away on neighboring property's and it's not on a field edge but a old path and transition of property. Almost creates a 4 corners. I had a buck on cam there earlier this year in the morning.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 am

Mschmeiske wrote:I believe bedding is possible 300-500 yards away on neighboring property's and it's not on a field edge but a old path and transition of property. Almost creates a 4 corners. I had a buck on cam there earlier this year in the morning.

Based on this description, I would assume night sign. I'm from MI, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've run lots of cams over scrapes and the only time this type of scrape gets daylight use (in my experience) is the Oct 28-Nov 5th time frame. Just before first estrus does. I'm not saying I wouldn't hunt it, but it doesn't sound like a slam dunk based on setup and distance from bedding.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 am

Mschmeiske wrote:I believe bedding is possible 300-500 yards away on neighboring property's and it's not on a field edge but a old path and transition of property. Almost creates a 4 corners. I had a buck on cam there earlier this year in the morning.

300-500 yards from bedding would not be daylight movement IMO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”