OnX Topo not really topo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailhunter63

OnX Topo not really topo

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am

So I renewed my subscription after a year away from it because I didn’t think it was all that great but I’ve reading and everyone seems to use it now that there’s a new version out so I subscribed again. Boy what a mistake, the topo option isn’t even a topo map where I’m at. It’s the same map as if you just set the map option as the base layer in cal topo. When I used it two years ago the topo maps were fine but not anymore. Anyone else having this problem?

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: OnX Topo not really topo

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 am

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:So I renewed my subscription after a year away from it because I didn’t think it was all that great but I’ve reading and everyone seems to use it now that there’s a new version out so I subscribed again. Boy what a mistake, the topo option isn’t even a topo map where I’m at. It’s the same map as if you just set the map option as the base layer in cal topo. When I used it two years ago the topo maps were fine but not anymore. Anyone else having this problem?

I just subscribed today and it is fine. Is it possible that it is a setting somewhere? Try calling them in the morning.

Your profile isn't filled out so I can't tell where you are. They have the least coverage in New England
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:45 am

I’m in Connecticut but on the old version the topo maps were fine. On this version the topo maps are pretty much a blank screen. I looked everywhere for a setting to change it but can’t find anything
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:I’m in Connecticut but on the old version the topo maps were fine. On this version the topo maps are pretty much a blank screen. I looked everywhere for a setting to change it but can’t find anything

I just subscribed for Connecticut as I do a lot of bowhunting there. What phone are you running it on? Is it possible that you picked the wrong state by accident?

Bob

Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 am

I’m on an iPhone and 100% positive I’m on Connecticut. If I zoom to other state the topo goes into greater detail as I zoom in but it’s not doing that for connecticut
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 am

Mine works great in VT and NH on an iPhone 6
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:I’m on an iPhone and 100% positive I’m on Connecticut. If I zoom to other state the topo goes into greater detail as I zoom in but it’s not doing that for connecticut

That's strange. I would give them a call or shoot them an email.

Bob

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 pm

works good for me, has to be a settings thing, Mike
cmbrown337

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Yeah I would look into it. Works for me here in WI. It's a great tool for not only the topo's but I have found some public land I didn't even know was public until having the app. Good Luck!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 am

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:I’m on an iPhone and 100% positive I’m on Connecticut. If I zoom to other state the topo goes into greater detail as I zoom in but it’s not doing that for connecticut

There are two round buttons in the bottom right corner of the map. The top button toggles through SAT, HVB, and TOPO.

In topo mode I don't see a lot detail in Connecticut or Mass. they are about the same.

Bob

gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:39 am

you actually change to topo through the 2 small buttons at bottom right on screen not through the settings....I had the same issue
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

There are two round buttons in the bottom right corner of the map. The top button toggles through SAT, HVB, and TOPO.

In topo mode I don't see a lot detail in Connecticut or Mass. they are about the same.

Bob

I'm glad that I'm not the only one then. I contacted them and they seemed pretty surprised about it and told me try a whole bunch of different things but nothing worked. I'll still use the app to log anything i need while scouting/hunting and to see public land boundaries so its not the end of the world!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”