Lost access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Greg4579

Lost access

Unread postby Greg4579 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 am

Just lost access to one of my favorite properties. This was in suburbia near my house and really afforded me some extra hints when I otherwise probably couldn’t get out. I am bummed...

The lot has been for sale for some time (like 10 yrs) and a construction company is leasing it to park their heavy equipment. I had a note on my truck when I got to it last night with a name and number to call.

When I googled I saw a couple of things: He is the owner of the construction company. Also, he shot a big buck last year at a private ranch (probably a $5000 deer). He only would text me (when I called and said who I was he hung up). He said it was loud where he was at so texting was his option.

I really put some time into this property between running cameras, scouting and hunting it. I just feel deflated as I have a handful of properties I worked on in the off season and being my first year I just don’t have a lot of them.

I am sure this has happened to many on her before. I just needed to vent.

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Lost access

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 am

Yep it sucks. Had it happen to me. Will happen again at some point. Way she goes. Kinda a kick in the bag the guy can't be decent enough to have a proper phOne call chat with you
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:52 am

I don't hunt one private property that I did 15 years ago. Nothing stays the same. I believe it will make you a better hunter. Now you will go out and find another property, that is maybe better than the one you just lost. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:02 am

Stanley wrote:I don't hunt one private property that I did 15 years ago.

Same here. first year I've been able to say that.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 am

Pretty much the reason I hunt public.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 am

What you did not lose is the knowledge gained from scouting this property. That is yours to keep forever, and to continue developing. As you grow as a hunter, I guarantee what you learned on this property will translate to other properties in the future.

You can NEVER have too many places to hunt. I would find the nearest public and dive in right now.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 am

Thanks guys. Didn’t mean to come across as whining.

I run this same kind of dilemma for anything near to my house. There are “public” spots like this one which are tracks of woods that are not posted. True state game lands are about an hour away. Getting a hunt in after work is going to be spots like this. It is not like there is a house to go knock on the door. I need to get better at tracking down ownership and making a phone call or sending a letter. If I don’t then this is always a possibility. Will be focusing on the game lands more on the weekends.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:45 pm

oldrank wrote:Pretty much the reason I hunt public.

X2.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Have you talked to the owner? The guy leasing might not have the right to kick you out.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 am

mike_mc wrote:Have you talked to the owner? The guy leasing might not have the right to kick you out.

Josh_S pointed me towards OnX Maps and their feature of showing you the property owner. I got an address from there and I am trying to google for a phone number. You're right, this guy has no right to kick me off, but on the other hand I never had explicit permission to begin with. I plan to at the very least write a letter. It is a property ownership group who maintains a portfolio of investment properties. I am not holding my breath on getting a positive response, but then again I will not know unless I ask.

On the plus side, OnX Maps has opened my eyes to a lot more public parcels. Looking forward to diving into more of those.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:57 am

Greg4579 wrote:
mike_mc wrote:Have you talked to the owner? The guy leasing might not have the right to kick you out.

Josh_S pointed me towards OnX Maps and their feature of showing you the property owner. I got an address from there and I am trying to google for a phone number. You're right, this guy has no right to kick me off, but on the other hand I never had explicit permission to begin with. I plan to at the very least write a letter. It is a property ownership group who maintains a portfolio of investment properties. I am not holding my breath on getting a positive response, but then again I will not know unless I ask.

On the plus side, OnX Maps has opened my eyes to a lot more public parcels. Looking forward to diving into more of those.

You'll likely create conflict and/or that property won't be the same with the other guy or guys hunting it. This won't be the last time you lose hunting land. Move on. This happens to everyone that doesn't own their own land. Public land makes you a better hunter, no doubt. The struggle for many guys is that you have to forget hunting like the Lakoskis' and put some blood sweat and tears into your scouting. Not that Lee doesn't work hard....but public land is a different kind of hard work. Which I'm sure you've learned from reading on the beast. Good luck! Turing the page will make you a better hunter.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 am

Private land can be a joke these days...All of the little private I have these days is hunted by a lot of other guys and might as well be public. I've had the same thing happen a couple times myself and said never again after all the rules others place on you to hunt there. I'm not talking landowners but other hunters..."Don't shoot this or that, what did you see, exactly when, where, why do you see that deer there?" It will make you a better hunter like others have said. It's a tough pill to swallow but you will be good for it on down the road.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:51 am

matt1336 wrote:You'll likely create conflict and/or that property won't be the same with the other guy or guys hunting it. This won't be the last time you lose hunting land. Move on. This happens to everyone that doesn't own their own land. Public land makes you a better hunter, no doubt. The struggle for many guys is that you have to forget hunting like the Lakoskis' and put some blood sweat and tears into your scouting. Not that Lee doesn't work hard....but public land is a different kind of hard work. Which I'm sure you've learned from reading on the beast. Good luck! Turing the page will make you a better hunter.

Agreed. I want to be clear that I do indeed have public lands I have scouted this year, but they are typically for days off or Saturdays (PA has blue laws and no Sunday hunting) and not conducive to getting out on a weeknight after work. Josh_S was able to point me in the direction of some other sources of public land that I was overlooking, so I am optimistic that I can find a few locations within a 1/2 hour that will afford me some weekday hunts.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:53 am

I only have one small piece of private that I hunt and it has been more of a headache then public.I I had sole access the last two years. Have people that sneak in from 2 sides, had two cameras stolen last year. Then this year there is another guy that has permission to hunt it. Last year I had 7 mature bucks on camera this year only 2 and I wouldn't target either of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”