Observations about bedding in river bottoms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeD

Observations about bedding in river bottoms

Unread postby JakeD » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 pm

I was just reading the tactical threads about buck bedding and had a moment that made the light bulb come on.

I hunt a lot along the Mississippi River and have had a hard time with thinking how bucks are using the wind to bed. The bucks always use this same block of timber to bed in no matter what the wind direction. The past 5 years or so I have been more focused on trying to kill bucks I have a history with and have noticed something that I haven't seen elsewhere. Bachelor groups tend to always break up early season around here, but I noticed the bucks on this property stay together quite a bit longer. I'm talking to the 3rd week of October. As soon as we get to pre rut they break up. This seemed really weird until a few minutes ago. I had the idea that bedding is all wind based, and still believe it. But there are times that don't allow a buck a lot of choice on his bedding. So my thought is that these bucks are staying together for security purposes. Since they can't stay anywhere but along the river, they are almost forced to bed together until they are ready to look for does. Anybody else ever notice anything like this?

Killemquietly

Re: Observations about bedding in river bottoms

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:26 am

I subscribe to the topic to hear others thoughts. I do a lot of river hunting as well. How far south are you?
JakeD

Re: Observations about bedding in river bottoms

Unread postby JakeD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 am

I am down near where the Ohio meets the Mississippi.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”