Michigan Student new to site.. New to hunting in general..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MiRedOctober1995

Michigan Student new to site.. New to hunting in general..

Unread postby MiRedOctober1995 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:27 pm

So Ill start off on my intro. Im a Chicago native who moved to Michigan to help care for my great aunt and now reside in Central Michigan. This will be my first hunt ever.(I bought a bow off ebay for Red October) I am a full time college student at GVSU so my hunting days are limited to 2 week days and 1 or 2 possible weekend days. I've literally watched every Beast youtube video and am still a bit hazy on topos for Michigan geography. I understand transitional area of interest and how to walk those for possible signs of interest. I also watched Dan on the big buck radio talk about a piece of land and nail its geo and topo like 1,2,3. I just can't do that with michigan geo. Is there any threads on here you guys can recommend me to really get the cyber scouting aspect down to the T. I didn't really have much time to scout other than a local game area that receives a bunch of pressure. (ROSE LAKE, EAST LANSING) The spots i scouted were actually given to me from an MSU alum who moved north whom i really appreciate and admire. I would also like to use the season to take drives to other places in and around central and west michigan which may not receive as much pressure. (let the jokes fly :dance: ) I am also planning a trip to Clare county state land. (36,000 acres) I now have the basics of woodsmanship down (compass, orientation, navigation, map bearing, etc.) What i really want to accomplish in the next couple of weeks is how you guys can take 6000 acre and chop it down to 40 or 50 of suspected prime area. If i can get even a 50% grasp of that, i think this season will really set me up for success. I am fully committed to the beast style not just for the sheer reason guys bag big bucks but for the fact that it is a unique style that actually makes the most sense to me even as a beginner. (If you really liked a girl and you knew she only had a couple of minutes every day to talk during day light- would you wait to talk to her in a hallway on the route she might take to the the cafeteria or would you wait for her outside of her dorm room? :L: :lol: ) But seriously, i really dig the fact of putting in the days of finding the bad boy, mastering the wind play , thermals, and then bringing it to his front door step. I'm taking this up academically so any tips pointer anything helps. Im not asking you to write a book for me. Just simply posting a thread link would mean a bunch. Im basically going to be doing in season glassing and possibly set up to not ruin the shot. I've learned you have to be aggressive using the BS and im committed. If i see something, i know its already a bit late not to drop scent this late in the season. So i am prepared to turn a scout into a setup if the stars a line and the blood priestess gives the green light. Likewise, i would like to know which dvd i should order for Michigan Public hunting. (im guessing marsh bucks??) I figure if i can at least have a couple good encounters this season and eat a tag it will still be winning. This will be my first hunt period. So have at me and do your worst gents. Im a green horn who will be implementing Beast style from day 1. I am prepared to pass on does and bucks this season i think that would be more of a victory than putting a 1 year old on the ground (from what i hear is like gandalf in public MI ;) ) Also, any Michigan hunters on here feel free to chime in or PM - You guys have already done that dance so if you can play me your favorite remix that would mean the world.

P.S. i sold my climber on craigslist for a profit and purchased millennium sticks and buck commander hang on!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

"You will never plow a field if you only turn it over in your mind."
tbunao
500 Club

Re: Michigan Student new to site.. New to hunting in general..

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Welcome! Good analogy, finding a good comfort zone just outside the dorm works it's when you have to get aggressive and get in that dorm room where things get sketchy :lol:
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:33 am

I don't know that there's a specific "how to" or perfect picture of what bedding looks like that applies everywhere. Where I live in Nebraska, I have riverbottom, farmland, hill country and swamp bedding, and none of it is exactly what is described in most threads. Habitat looks different everywhere, but deer are still deer. The trick is to glean the tendencies of deer from the experts here, scout the soles off of your shoes and then learn what the habitat looks like from the air. The learning curve is steep. The only shortcut is a bookmark to the website.

You're on the right track. Best to you this year!
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
MiRedOctober1995

Unread postby MiRedOctober1995 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you Brothers for blessing me. I understand every terrain is different and i have been abusing the search tool but am greeted with absent photostock. In my mind this shouldn't have been a problem. Im curious to what frame network they are using because once something is up loaded to a website ( or forum ) it should be their PP. (Propiertary Prop) Anywhoo, I will use what i can get which itself is lifetimes of info and pick and choose what works for me. I am a get it done type of kid and knowing others have BEASTED even in Michigan Public has given me even more of an appetite for success. Whatch out boys, there's a new bandit in town. :twisted: :twisted:
"You will never plow a field if you only turn it over in your mind."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Welcome! Check out the all time tactical threads at the top. Its loaded w excellent info for chasing whitetails. Good luck this season.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:01 pm

With limited time and being new take this season to learn. Worry more about scouting than hunting. So if you have a free night or two during the weekdays that you can get to a spot and scout it out for a couple of hours take that opportunity. Then take what you learned about that spot and apply it towards an area that you want to hunt by finding the similarities between the two. I still have a hard time giving up a night or day of hunting but I know in the long run it will pay off. The more you can learn about how properties lay out and when, how, and why they are being used is going to give you way more information than just cyber scouting and going in there to sit for a few hours. Or sit a spot and if nothing happens then the next day go back in there and scout it out in depth. I guess what I'm getting at is scout, scout, scout.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”