Doe bedding areas in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

Doe bedding areas in hill country

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:35 pm

I know you guys have beat buck bedding to death. One thing I haven't saw anything about is doe bedding. I have posted a few threads about buck.bedding before and became pretty familiar with it and think I have found some buck beds. Found a spot that had All of the characteristics of a buck bed without any rubs in it. Went in the woods today and go within 80 yds of the bed. Only to see 3 does come from that area. So I'm wondering if I have mistaken the buck bed for a doe bedding area. It is located in the top 1/3 on a point where 2 draws meet. So how do does bed? Do they also like the same things bucks like?

pewpewpew

Re: Doe bedding areas in hill country

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 am

Im an amateur hill country hunter. In my little experience, I've yet to be convinced that there are actually doe bedding areas, or buck bedding areas. In my opinion, beds can be anywhere there is a 100% level patch of ground. I think buck, doe, fawn use those flat patches given the opportunity.
nelson68w

Unread postby nelson68w » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 am

Rockytophunter wrote:I know you guys have beat buck bedding to death. One thing I haven't saw anything about is doe bedding. I have posted a few threads about buck.bedding before and became pretty familiar with it and think I have found some buck beds. Found a spot that had All of the characteristics of a buck bed without any rubs in it. Went in the woods today and go within 80 yds of the bed. Only to see 3 does come from that area. So I'm wondering if I have mistaken the buck bed for a doe bedding area. It is located in the top 1/3 on a point where 2 draws meet. So how do does bed? Do they also like the same things bucks like?

It’s been my experience that when you find doe bedding there are usually multiple beds in a circular, or semi-circular pattern, like a defensive perimeter. I’ve also found them at higher elevations in hill country, with buck beds below them. The buck beds are usually bigger, singular, may or may not have rubs near them, and when you squat down in the bed you can really appreciate why they chose that spot.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 am

It's a little aggravating because you think you have something figured out then next thing you know it's something completely backwards. I walked in a small patch of blown down pines and found 2 small beds that are 100 to 150 yds from the crop field and I am almost certain those are doe bedding. In between the 2 beds there was a scrape already here. The beds I found up high made sense to med to be a buck because of where it was at. It just seemed right. Different postions for different winds. Thermals pulling up both hollows straight to the beds. Do the does use the same bedding characteristics? Me thinking this makes me want to just start from scratch again. In my mind I'm thinking the bucks will bed above his does so he can smell the with the thermals as he walks the ridge. So if the does are bedding in the upper 1/3 where would the buck be bedded at?
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 am

Bedding areas can hold both bucks and does in close prOximity I wouldn't give up because 3 Does walked out of what you weren't 100% sure were buck beds anyway..
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:14 am

Here's a consistent set up that I see. Does on top of the point with bucks moving around the tip based on wind. A lot of times the top is also thicker. Around here it's thick greenbriar. So the does bed in the thicket and bucks with the thicket to their back looking down a clear hillside.

But does will also sometimes bed on the 1/3 using the thermals and wind just like bucks.

nelson68w

Unread postby nelson68w » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:34 pm

SaddleMaster wrote:Here's a consistent set up that I see. Does on top of the point with bucks moving around the tip based on wind. A lot of times the top is also thicker. Around here it's thick greenbriar. So the does bed in the thicket and bucks with the thicket to their back looking down a clear hillside.

But does will also sometimes bed on the 1/3 using the thermals and wind just like bucks.

Excellent illustration.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I also found an area scouting this spring where there were lots of beds and then rubs around the perimeter on trails paralleling the area. I took this to be doe bedding that bucks were competing over during the rut. Not sure if it's used by does only during the rut or at other times of the season as well. I guess I'll find out this year.
sgspencer

Unread postby sgspencer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

SaddleMaster wrote:Here's a consistent set up that I see. Does on top of the point with bucks moving around the tip based on wind. A lot of times the top is also thicker. Around here it's thick greenbriar. So the does bed in the thicket and bucks with the thicket to their back looking down a clear hillside.

That pic explains it well. But for some reason it reminds me of a diagram in my sex ed/ anatomy class...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Everything varies by terrain, regions and pressure. Deer in general bed the same way but all beds are different. The older, smarter deer will have the best spots for both sexes. For a buck though, the difference has to be the security/backcover and size of the bed. He shifts areas throughout the season and they will be the preferred. Size or length is everything if were talking no sign around the bed. The #1 thing notice the more I search for them is he can survive in these areas by getting food/water close by w/o anyone ever knowing he exists.
As someone stated already some of the best bedding areas all deer will bed there at some time or another. I like the map example given, they will bed lower too or adjacent. There is usually a buffer zone bc a big buck likes other deer for security but doesnt like to be bothered in his space.
Also stated earlier, most times your does are at least paired up so thats one way to determine differences. Alot of the better buck bedding areas will have multiple beds in or around the spot. The spot itself can vary in size.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:54 am

I've learned that does bed in more food oriented locations. When they can get a little rest and let the young feed close by it works for them.
A buck can bed strickly with security in mind. And being around the pesky youngsters is annoying for males of many species. :think:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:02 am

From reading all the posts, I'm gonna say every deer or group has one common factor but yet every group or deer is different in their own way because of the habitat they live on.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:45 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I've learned that does bed in more food oriented locations. When they can get a little rest and let the young feed close by it works for them.
A buck can bed strickly with security in mind. And being around the pesky youngsters is annoying for males of many species. :think:

:lol: Well said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”