My current setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

My current setup

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Posting this mainly because I want to test out uploading pictures. I haven't posted any in a long time due to the photo bucket crap. Anyways...wanted to share some pics of the gear I'm running this year. Current tree stand weight is right at 23lbs as it is pictured here.
Image.
These ropes are 8mm accessory cord and the brown ones are post RIT dye and the yellow one is pre RIT dye. Just wanted to show the difference there in case anyone is on the fence about dying theirs. Well worth it if you receive an odd color from REI.
Image.
Lastly, this is the grappling hook I created before last season. It's got one years use out of it now and I couldn't be happier with it. The whole thing is covered in shrink tubing from Lowe's and it works great. I even used shrink tubing for some of my bungee hooks that I use since they have the smaller steel hooks. Works well.Image.
Hope you guys find this interesting and wanna say thanks to everyone in here for all the stuff I've read on here is where I got most of the ideas for all of this customizing.
Last edited by RidgeReaper on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RidgeReaper

Re: My current setup

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 pm

;)
Last edited by RidgeReaper on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Just curious, why do so many guys use grappling hooks? Do you ever have problems with your gear getting hung up in brush? I feel like if your bow got hung up on something on the way down it's likely to come loose and free fall the rest of the way. It seems like an ok idea at first but I just don't think it could work in many spots where I hunt.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 pm

I switched to it simply because when I set up I go one trip up and thats it. Well when you have 2 ropes hanging from your belt to the gear below...I had the ropes get tangled in lower sticks and pop them off the tree slightly to where I had to fix that. Hard to explain. That and if you "spiral" up the tree at all due to it being crooked or leaning...it is really difficult to get the bow and pack up the tree. I will admit...grappling hooks are still a bit tough as far as actually getting it to grab the gear from 26' but I haven't had trouble yet. The hardest part really is getting it to detach itself from my bow once it gets to the ground.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 pm

:handgestures-thumbupright:
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:03 am

What are the advantages of running ropes instead of straps with buckles on your sticks?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:24 am

jbone23 wrote:What are the advantages of running ropes instead of straps with buckles on your sticks?

It's lighter and quieter because you don't have metal buckles.
Acts 10:13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=507352540

Unread postby Acts 10:13 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 am

jbone23 wrote:What are the advantages of running ropes instead of straps with buckles on your sticks?

I just made the switch from cam buckles to rope this season. Rope is easier to setup because you can swing rope around the tree with out fear of it making much noise. And you don't have to worry about buckles clanking around on your setup, hike in, or hike out. So LESS NOISE.

My total setup weight dropped 14 ounces switching from cam buckles to rope. That's nearly a pound. And as my buddy pointed out - there are pounds and then there are MOUNTAIN POUNDS. Hiking a ways back and up and down ridges and hills...shedding a pound off your gear is a big deal.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:34 am

Nice setup . I may look into a Grap hook , I wrap my pull rope through a handle on my pack then clip caribiner to my bow and bring them both up... gets heavy some mornings. I thought about trying ropes for my sticks too but Im just waiting for Dan's product to come out at this point.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:57 am

I never even thought about looking into a grap hook. I think I'm different than most beast members though in how I carry my gear. Strap my stand/sticks with talons to my pack, then when I get to the tree to setup I attach my bow to my pack and my pack to my pull rope.
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:09 am

Nice setup…Just curious though, don’t those sticks mounted on the sides like that catch every twig n briar? I stack mine on top of one another just for that reason…
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 am

Very cool setup, I'm waiting on stealth strips in strata to come in the mail today. I'm running a similar setup. After looking at this, I'm definitely buying stick talons.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 am

My setup is 90% the same as yours. I'm really loving the stick talons. It leaves a perfect hole in the middle to throw a jacket or vest into and then strap down a small pack on top of that. I like it better than trying to balance the pack on top the sticks or set off to the side. I think I'm gonna order another set for the alpha before rut. The only problem I have is trying to figure out where to put the fifth stick if I need it.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 am

Nice setup
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:24 am

CHALK_1 wrote:Nice setup…Just curious though, don’t those sticks mounted on the sides like that catch every twig n briar? I stack mine on top of one another just for that reason…

I haven't run into that yet because this is my first season running with talons. I never liked stacking the sticks due to having a backpack. Stick quiver was ok sort of but had a few problems with it so i don't want to use those either. The talons make the most sense because my pack will fit right between the sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”