Marsh/swamp wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Marsh/swamp wind

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:15 pm

One thing that I'm still somewhat confused on is swamp/marsh bedding and if/how it relates to the wind.

I have a spot I have scouted somewhat extensively. First time in that type of habitat. ("Mausers marsh saga" posts for anyone that may remember).

I put in a LOT of time into basically 1 setup.

It's not a true cat tail marsh. The specific area, a hardwood finger makes a horse shoe basically. The "opening" of the horse shoe is to the east. The north portion has some of the only oaks around. The "bowl" is wet..I'd call it wetland grass, brush and a few tree clusters..aka buck beds. Every little cluster of trees has a buck bed.

They tend to leave the bowl to the north and stage on the tiny oak ridge. Literally 30yds. It's great..I can shoot the entirety.

I just don't see a correlation to wind. That's one thing I haven't figured out. I've only had last year's successful sit there.

My access is from the south and I hug the west side of the bedding. Basically need an easterly wind. Though last year I hunted it on a south wind and 1.5yo bucks exited the bedding..right at dark as I was leaving other deer were coming out.. suspected older bucks.

I'm planning to hunt it on the opener Saturday. Wind is supposed to be NNW shifting N to NE.

I THINK that may put me in business. Maybe they'll lay there all day smelling the staging and get on their feet early feeling safe...I will be JUST off to the west..as long as a weather gust doesn't come...

I'm excited to get back there. I've been havent been too excited for this season...but the more I though about the marsh, I am loosing sleep already lol.

I feel like all that time and hard work is going to pay sooner or later.

I plan to take a camera in Saturday and leave it all season. There's a couple buck bed scrapes that should yield good Intel...

The wind is just throwing me off... probably over thinking it....

Couple years back I had a camera out on a field edge and couldn't get over the number of different deer...but the Intel was limited.. couldn't make rhyme or reason of the movement being that far off..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”