Wind Speeds and buck movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

Re: Wind Speeds and buck movement

Unread postby Troutking » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 pm

I will take 10+ to 25 mph winds before calm days anytime. I hate it when I can hear cars from 1/4 mile away, etc. Harder to keep my wind true when the wind is little to none.

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 am

Okay - to me this makes no sense at all... In heavy wind a deer is deprived of it's best assets. In higher winds all the woods are moving so detecting motion from predators becomes harder, the wind blows away scent and mitigates thermal effects, and all the woods are making noise depriving it of effective hearing. So you would think in conditions like that they would hunker down. But I too - put down my biggest buck on a windy day....

I don't get it. This doesn't seem to be in the deer's best interest of survival.. But it's what happened and it seems to be a common experience here.
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:17 am

Going to bump this up again. Would love to hear some more thoughts.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm

I love hearing the woods wake up in the morning but dislike calm days. I think mature bucks are more hesitant to move in this because predators can hear them walking as much as they can hear them. Plus it is harder for them to scent check areas for does or safety so in my experience they don't move as far.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”