apples

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlars

apples

Unread postby Jlars » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm

The deer have been hitting my apple trees pretty hard the past few days. Does and fawns during the day and a few young bucks come in towards evening.

Anyone ever get a mature buck on an apple pattern?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: apples

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Jlars wrote:The deer have been hitting my apple trees pretty hard the past few days. Does and fawns during the day and a few young bucks come in towards evening.

Anyone ever get a mature buck on an apple pattern?

Every year. Hunting one tonight. We have a ton of them here. But just like anything else...the ones that produce are the ones closest to bedding. Apples without bedding near are useless. I have hundreds of trees I walk right past.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 pm

My buddy gets tons of nice bucks hitting his apple tree. He is also on an absolute diamond of a funnel as well. Gets lots of traffic.

But yeah like maine said, the best food sources are the ones right next to bedding. Oaks, maples, dogwood, apples, crops. Have bedding on the border, and you are in a good position
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 am

Ive only noticed does and small bucks but that was at the beginning of the month and these aren't right near bedding. Last year around mid/late November I started seeing more bucks on them though. :think:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:52 am

I scout 100s of apple trees a season. All of them are not equal, not by a long shot. Bucks actually have certain trees they prefer over the others. My very best spots are where there is a preferred apple tree next to good cover with beds. Out of those hundreds, I have maybe 5-8 spots that I think I can kill a 3.5+ buck off from. Its never just about the apples.

Its very much the same concept as marsh islands with oak trees. I am looking for the same things with apple trees. Loaded oak trees in the wrong spots are not good for killing a mature buck.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 am

I would agree that an apple tree near bedding is much better than an apple tree that is not near bedding. Mature bucks are all about security and that apple tree near bedding is a much safer choice.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 am

Apples are killer where I hunt in Maine

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”