Wind strategy for Opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

9pt
500 Club

Wind strategy for Opener

Unread postby 9pt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Dan and other Beasts,
For our opener in a Michigan, my area was predicting a north wind until two days ago when it switched to a SE wind. I had considered all the best north wind spots based on being down wind of bedding on points. Now I am looking at all the best SE wind spots based on being down wind of bedding on points. However I keep thinking of trying the just off wind which would take me to the places I originally thought of for the North wind. It seems the beasts here do a bit of both but I wonder which is a better strategy for a season opener.

Key question is For a season opener, what would you do?:
- play it safer and be downwind having wind blow from open into the point?
OR
- try the just off wind approach based on wind blowing down the point into the bedding?

I look forward to reading opinions and rationale.

fireforeffect

Re: Wind strategy for Opener

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 am

Just my opinion, but on opening morning I would play it safe. However, I would be dropping a ton of milkweed and educating myself on the difference between the forecast and reality. The two don't always match up. Once you know what to expect on similar forecasts, you'll be equipped to execute a plan that is a bit more bold. This is how I approach it anyway. If you're bouncing around from property to property then you can afford to be more aggressive. If you're planning to hunt that property a good bit, then you may want to start out more cautious. No shame in sitting an observation stand until you learn how the winds work in that particular area.
intherut

Unread postby intherut » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 am

Where and how can I get my hands on some milkweed to use as a wind indicator this year?
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Ive played it safe for years, and Im going all in this year. Tomorrow is my opener, and I have a good wind to try and be aggressive. When you only have so many spots through scouting and sparing time to hunt, Im going to learn by doing this year. If I fail, oh well, I will be learning more than I have in the past by being super sensitive to playing it safe.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:38 pm

fireforeffect wrote:Just my opinion, but on opening morning I would play it safe. However, I would be dropping a ton of milkweed and educating myself on the difference between the forecast and reality. The two don't always match up. Once you know what to expect on similar forecasts, you'll be equipped to execute a plan that is a bit more bold. This is how I approach it anyway. If you're bouncing around from property to property then you can afford to be more aggressive. If you're planning to hunt that property a good bit, then you may want to start out more cautious. No shame in sitting an observation stand until you learn how the winds work in that particular area.

Chick boom! x2!
AndyRoo
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/andyroo.lichtle?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby AndyRoo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 am

where at in Michigan are you? I live in south east mi but I'm going up to grayling this weekend coming up and I have a bunch of milkweed pods that I freshly picked a few days ago. I'm looking to pay it forward because someone else hooked me up not too long ago.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:43 am

I would gladly pay you for any extra you have!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”