Replacing bolts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Replacing bolts

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 am

I tore apart my stand and sticks and put some bow string wax on each washer and cleaned everything up. I found a bent bolt where the post meets the platform and went to the hardware store to find a replacement. I found a black grade 8 bolt but they only had coarse thread, also I was forced to use a grade 5 nylon nut. Is this okay? Thanks in advance for the help!

Dewey

Re: Replacing bolts

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 am

I would think it’s best to replace with exactly what came from the factory. With R&D testing you would think they use specific hardware for a reason.

This would be a great question for Dan since he deals with this stuff all the time.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am

NBK438 wrote:I tore apart my stand and sticks and put some bow string wax on each washer and cleaned everything up. I found a bent bolt where the post meets the platform and went to the hardware store to find a replacement. I found a black grade 8 bolt but they only had coarse thread, also I was forced to use a grade 5 nylon nut. Is this okay? Thanks in advance for the help!

A grade 8 bolt is the highest strength steel bolt their is. It's has 150,000 psi tensile strength. It should be fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am

How about with the fine thread that it comes with vs the coarse thread? Will the grade 5 nylon nut be okay as well? I assumed all the pressure would be on the bolt so it would be okay. I couldn't find the bolt kit on the LW site, Dewey. I might just call them up and order the bolts from them and hunt with what I have until then. Has to be better then hunting with the bent original...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 am

NBK438 wrote:How about with the fine thread that it comes with vs the coarse thread? Will the grade 5 nylon nut be okay as well? I assumed all the pressure would be on the bolt so it would be okay. I couldn't find the bolt kit on the LW site, Dewey. I might just call them up and order the bolts from them and hunt with what I have until then. Has to be better then hunting with the bent original...

Fine thread are are stronger, but with a class 8 bolt you should be ok. The nut should be fine. The bolt takes all the load.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:03 am

Awesome, thanks for the help, Fellas!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Where did you find the black oxide bolts? I went to numerous local hardware stores as well as fastenol and a similar fastener place..ended up getting grade 8 but had to paint them.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm

I'd contact the manufacturer. If it's Lone Wolf stuff contact the president Jared Schlipf. He's a good dude and will fix you up with what you need.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Where did you find the black oxide bolts? I went to numerous local hardware stores as well as fastenol and a similar fastener place..ended up getting grade 8 but had to paint them.

I found mine at Ace Hardware
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I'd contact the manufacturer. If it's Lone Wolf stuff contact the president Jared Schlipf. He's a good dude and will fix you up with what you need.

Ill shoot him a call tomorrow and just hunt with what I have for right now!
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:15 am

FYI, for anyone wanting to order replacement bolts through Lone Wolf, you must call them direct and they cost $6.99(kit is for both seat to post and post to platform) and come "pre lubed". I asked Jared what he recommends as a lubricant and he said they use "Plumber's grease" instead of bow wax.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 pm

The grade 8 bolt is overkill for the application. the grade 5 nut is fine. There isn't any pressure pushing out into the nut in this application.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:39 pm

GRFox wrote:The grade 8 bolt is overkill for the application. the grade 5 nut is fine. There isn't any pressure pushing out into the nut in this application.

Cost difference is nominal, I’d want the stronger bolt regardless. What’s the negative?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 am

If one bolt bent, I would replace all of them. You might have a Chinese version. The Chinese ones had cheap hardware that in my opinion is dangerous. I like the bow wax cause it seems to last longer. I don't know when they switched to grease, we always used bow wax, as far as I can remember.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 am

dan wrote:If one bolt bent, I would replace all of them. You might have a Chinese version. The Chinese ones had cheap hardware that in my opinion is dangerous. I like the bow wax cause it seems to last longer. I don't know when they switched to grease, we always used bow wax, as far as I can remember.

This is an American built one. I was shocked when I found the bent bolt. I weigh in at 155lbs so I'm not even coming in at half the rated weight capacity. I applied bow string wax to my sticks when I tore them apart and I thought it turned out good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”