Fun Question for Mr. Dan...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Acts 10:13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=507352540

Fun Question for Mr. Dan...

Unread postby Acts 10:13 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:22 am

Alright Dan...we've all seen this pic, and others, floating around the web of you with some of your collection of memories...

Now, we all have our favorite hunt/kill/buck/etc. My question is...what's your favorite, most memorable buck/hunt/kill of all time? And why? Is it even on this barn wall or is it some scrub buck hanging above the head board back at the house? What made it stick out more than others? And if you applied any beast-mode tactics or learned anything from the hunt, feel free to throw that in too! Thanks sir!

***After Dan has posted...everyone else chime in. Especially if you applied any tactics learned from Hunting Beast or if you learned anything in the process.***

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Fun Question for Mr. Dan...

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 am

My 1st big one, is probably my best memory. I hunted that buck for a few years, picked up his sheds from 2 y/o till I killed him... He taught me a lot, and I always considered that buck my mentor. The 1st deer I killed, and my 1st bow kill are at the top of the list too... It may sound bad, but just being honest, a lot of the bucks after the 1st few are not as special. I am always thinking about the next victim, and not so much about the past. I believe there is a story about the mentor buck in my profile in the all time best tactical thread.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:25 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 am

Good thread!!!

Dan
When was the first time you ever used milkweed?

What is your most FORGETTABLE hunt?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Good thread!!!

Dan

I can't remember the 1st hunt with milkweed... Its safe to say long, long ago.. My most forgettable hunt would an Iowa hunt where I pushed my limit and took a 40 yard shot on a big walking buck. I hit right where I was aiming but the buck moved before the arrow got there and stuck him thru the intestines. I caught the front of the back legs a little to so the arrow was sticking out both sides. The buck jumped once, turned and started walking away. He was heading towards private land and I had an open shot at 60 yards and since the buck was fatally wounded, I decided to try and get another arrow in him... I hit him thru the neck, and this arrow was also sticking half out each side... The buck hobbled off never to be found despite a hard effort. I have shot and lost larger, and blown other opertunities, but that one bothered me cause I should not have tried to take a 40 yard walking shot.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 am

This is an interesting thread!
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 am

dan wrote:

Dan

I can't remember the 1st hunt with milkweed... Its safe to say long, long ago.. My most forgettable hunt would an Iowa hunt where I pushed my limit and took a 40 yard shot on a big walking buck. I hit right where I was aiming but the buck moved before the arrow got there and stuck him thru the intestines. I caught the front of the back legs a little to so the arrow was sticking out both sides. The buck jumped once, turned and started walking away. He was heading towards private land and I had an open shot at 60 yards and since the buck was fatally wounded, I decided to try and get another arrow in him... I hit him thru the neck, and this arrow was also sticking half out each side... The buck hobbled off never to be found despite a hard effort. I have shot and lost larger, and blown other opertunities, but that one bothered me cause I should not have tried to take a 40 yard walking shot.

Dan, it seems like you haven't hunted Iowa since you shot that old heavy-racked buck on Andrae's farm. Do you plan on hunting Iowa (or any other states) in the future? Or are you content with hunting in WI?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 am

Cool thread so far.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 am

Primetime41 wrote:
dan wrote:

Dan

Dan, it seems like you haven't hunted Iowa since you shot that old heavy-racked buck on Andrae's farm. Do you plan on hunting Iowa (or any other states) in the future? Or are you content with hunting in WI?

Yea, Im sure if I tag out here I will head somewhere else.
Sean952

Unread postby Sean952 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 am

Dan when was the last time you hunted MN if ever? If you have what is your most memorable hunt in MN
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am

Great stuff Dan! Thanks for sharing that w us. Here is some more about Andrae and You..

Can you remember the first time you hunted in work shoes?

When was the first discussion/encounter w Andrae you had & how did that go?

When was the first time he and you showed up and hunted the same buck?

Does Andrae have any military back round? Just curious bc of the way he speaks about things.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:09 am

Favorite color...camo or plaid?

Whenever you need a cameraman, just give me a call
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bowkill14

Unread postby bowkill14 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 pm

New to site. Just missed a nice ten pointer. I want to cry. Public land.
BobinCt
Facebook: Don't have one.

Unread postby BobinCt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm

How many hunts does it usually take you to get your buck your after? Assuming it's a property you have scouted and you know where he is bedded?
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Awesome thread so far
Dan if you had to "redo" the cover pic to your book where you pose woth your mounts how many bucks would be on it and is there a barn big enough near you to hold all of them for the pic?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”