Wireless trail camera?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

Wireless trail camera?

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Has anyone given these a shot yet?! I'm really wanting a couple because the urge for me to check my cameras in more intense now since season has been open. I won't use them until next season now at this point, but I think they would be nice. Any suggestion on brand?!

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Wireless trail camera?

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:28 am

Mainebowhunter has a recent thread taking about some. He uses Coverts. Not sure what others use. I don't own any yet.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 am

I have been using 3 of them for 5 seasons. I don't have time at the moment to type out my review but I will later today. What I will say is that I believe they are worth every penny. More so when it comes to hunting specific bucks but they also have their place when just hunting any buck.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 am

Blakebry123 wrote:Has anyone given these a shot yet?! I'm really wanting a couple because the urge for me to check my cameras in more intense now since season has been open. I won't use them until next season now at this point, but I think they would be nice. Any suggestion on brand?!

Are you referring to the cams which download pics to your phone from ~100' away? or cell cams?
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:07 am

I have a spypoint. And it is terrible. Seems they are always trying to update the software. It loses connection a ton. Even close to the house. And the only way you can see the videos or large photos is through the SD card. I am not real impressed. If I get another it will be a spartan.
Extreme Effort Only
Blakebry123

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 am

I'm referring to the cell cameras. I've heard bush Ella are pretty good. I'm not a stiffler on quality, as long as I can tell what's in the area and if it's a walk or shoot buck I'm good. Just curious which cameras had the bet reception and what not.
Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 am

I have heard nothing but good things about the Spartan cams! I do not own one personally but I probably will within the next year.
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 am

I have a covert black 12.1

and its pretty awesome!

I always hated going into a prime area to check cards. This allows me to stay away and still know what is moving through the area.

First off the Coverts are easy to set up and get start getting images........I use them more for travel direction to and from food sources high in a tree and angled down. They seem to pick up pretty good out to 50-75 ft.

the images you get on your phone or on your email are OK but if your an inch counter they may not be good enough for ya. but I think you can download the high res for a fee for each.

I never do..

I have even used it as a personal security cam at home when wife and i took long trips. Had every person or living thing that got within 75 ft of the porch on film

and clear enough pics like that top tell who they are.

The monthly plans can be steep but the good thing about covert is they let you do monthly and no required to keep billing etc.

for like $9.99 you get 5000 pics a month and the card will overwrite so no need to ever check it.... the battery life is good as long as you make it a delay in cell connection and besides the pics show battery life so you know when you will have to go and change the batteries.

had 12 batteries in mine since august 31st and got 815 pics so far and only lost 1 bar of battery life.

I think they are worth every penny!
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

Blakebry123 wrote:I'm referring to the cell cameras. I've heard bush Ella are pretty good. I'm not a stiffler on quality, as long as I can tell what's in the area and if it's a walk or shoot buck I'm good. Just curious which cameras had the bet reception and what not.

Correct I am referring to the Spypoint Link 4G with AT&T.
You constantly have to be on the phone with customer service to try and keep this thing working. It is terrible with battery life as well. Does not like to play well with its app either. Look at the Spartan cameras. That is what I will be switching over to.
Extreme Effort Only
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 am

In newer cams I've only used the Covert, ATT version. They work. It's great getting pics sent to you all day long.

In the Covert I get great range 75 feet regularly, have had 100 feet on the right day, good picture quality day and night, strong battery life, consistently works as long as there is decent cell signal. On the downside the detection window is slightly wider than the picture window so sometimes it misses the target. And with all these cell cams recovery speed is around a minute so you miss a lot compared to a regular camera. Taking those two issues into account, it pays to think about placement to be sure you capture what you need.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 am

I have a Spartan Go Cam on Verizon and very happy with it. After the price of the cam it only costs me $5/month when added to my current Verizon account. For long distance monitoring it's awesome for saving travel time and gas money checking your cams. They can be tough on batteries so good to look into other options for extended power supply like solar panel or external battery packs. I would love to have a whole fleet of them but really not reasonable yet price wise. Hopefully as they become more popular prices will get more reasonable. Kinda doubt it but time will tell.
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 am

Praying my at@t Spartan continues operating the way it has the last week. I had a world of issues getting it to work, it would gain signal and lose signal from five bars to none in secnds. I had all but given up when the farm owner bought a aftermarket omnidirectional antenna from eBay for 9 bucks, 200 pics in 4 nights since. The aftermarket Spartan antenna and original antenna didn't work. It was a shot n the dark but it seems to have paid off!

I am pretty sure I could capitalize tonight, since my post yesterday about dispersal I have had a old mature 6 pt pushing p/y in my plot with camera for two nights during shooting hours. That's at 82 degrees, I'm anticipating couple more bucks coming later this week on moon and cold front, too bad I'm not able to get there now.
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 pm

I have a Verizon and a AT&T CovertWireless. They work perfect other than in them fair back spots where they sometimes don't have service. Also My at&t camera the batteries last twice as long for some reason I can only get two weeks out of my Verizon cam using regular set of AA batteries and they take 12 so it adds up. Maybe I have something in settings set up wrong not sure. Currently using my Verizon cam for a regular cam do to it eating batteries but my at&t is great but have found two spots where it didn't work do to no service!
" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I have a Bushnell WIreless and absolutely love it. Very few problems, it just doesn't check in sometimes if there is heavy rain. There was a 9FC podcast where a guy gave a great review and listed the best settings for this particular cell cam. After I implemented those settings, my battery life has been great, over 90 days with lithium batteries.

I will try to get another one each year going forward.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”