Acorn Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octoberjohn

Re: Acorn Questions

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 am

AvidHunter88 wrote:
Octoberjohn wrote:In my area the acorns start dropping in September and depending on which kind will continue to drop into late October.The problem that I run into where I hunt is one year an area will be loaded with acorns and the next year there won't be any. So I actually scout for the acorns and hunt it accordingly. It can literally be a few hundred yards apart from where I'll find acorns dropping this year and where they dropped last year they are not. That could be the reason you didn't hear any where you were hunting, as it might have been an off year for the acorns where your island is. One thing I do know is if you find a good patch of oaks that are dropping you are going to see the deer! Good luck!

Do you feel like you're possibly burning a bridge by scouting a location so close to the season? Or do you check other trees in that swamp but not necessarily the spot you're planning on hunting? I'm trying to think of how I would know which areas are dropping acorns vs which are not if I end up finding multiple spots like these in different swamps. Or do you just try to throw a stand at all these areas in the early season hoping at least a couple are producing?

I just wanted to give you a little update on my acorn situation in my hunting area. I actually went for a speed scout as I like to call it on Tuesday around noon. I confirmed that the area I wanted to hunt was full of acorns. Today was our opening day and I was set up by 5:30 right in the middle of the big oak flat that I just walked thru on Tuesday. From daybreak until about 8:30 I had non stop action in the oaks. I ended up putting an arrow in a nice doe at 8AM! I had a great wind for the area and the deer definitely did not act any differently even though I was there just a few days prior.

Good luck this fall!! I hope you find some acorns and it leads you to some success!

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Octoberjohn wrote:
AvidHunter88 wrote:
Octoberjohn wrote:In my area the acorns start dropping in September and depending on which kind will continue to drop into late October.The problem that I run into where I hunt is one year an area will be loaded with acorns and the next year there won't be any. So I actually scout for the acorns and hunt it accordingly. It can literally be a few hundred yards apart from where I'll find acorns dropping this year and where they dropped last year they are not. That could be the reason you didn't hear any where you were hunting, as it might have been an off year for the acorns where your island is. One thing I do know is if you find a good patch of oaks that are dropping you are going to see the deer! Good luck!

Do you feel like you're possibly burning a bridge by scouting a location so close to the season? Or do you check other trees in that swamp but not necessarily the spot you're planning on hunting? I'm trying to think of how I would know which areas are dropping acorns vs which are not if I end up finding multiple spots like these in different swamps. Or do you just try to throw a stand at all these areas in the early season hoping at least a couple are producing?

I just wanted to give you a little update on my acorn situation in my hunting area. I actually went for a speed scout as I like to call it on Tuesday around noon. I confirmed that the area I wanted to hunt was full of acorns. Today was our opening day and I was set up by 5:30 right in the middle of the big oak flat that I just walked thru on Tuesday. From daybreak until about 8:30 I had non stop action in the oaks. I ended up putting an arrow in a nice doe at 8AM! I had a great wind for the area and the deer definitely did not act any differently even though I was there just a few days prior.

Good luck this fall!! I hope you find some acorns and it leads you to some success!

Congratulations! I was successful was well hunting oaks this week. Before that I hadnt seen a deer out in the open in 3 weeks. It was my first time dedicating off season scouting time to acorns and first time ever targeting them specifically. Although one thing I have to add is water close to oaks was another contributing factor. We have had little to no rain for awhile, the leaves are just turning brown and dropping...

To add onto the thread. I knew nothing about oak trees years ago except every other tree is an oak in my state. It sucks truing to pin point the best spots, its definitely not the attractive part of hunting but when acorns start hitting the ground people stop seeing deer. Thanks to other beasts tips - When I scout for them all I have been able to accomplish so far is look at the leaves on the ground as I walk, find a secluded spot w all whites or reds or better yet all 3 oak leaves together. Maybe scrape the ground see what is there. Combine that w a terrain feature like flat top/bottom connected w a saddle, pinch or travel route. Stand location is very important as well bc you can expect more deer than just a target animal showing. Obviously bedding has to be close but the one factor for bucks I've been trying to focus on is the thickest travel routes where a buck can stage his way until dark to the best part of the source.

Just mark it all on the GPS while scouting bc it can always be deleted later. The key is looking at it on a map for the bigger picture to compare how it matches up w bedding locations, intel and wind directions. Hopefully a buck in the area has left rubs on the food source and maybe it can be determined WHEN he lives in the area. To add it can help w HOW he travels the area, especially cutting tracks. From everything iv learned from others... A smart animal is going to scent check his way every chance he can to every destination source. In hill country, using the falling evening thermals seem to be a trend.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

JoeRE wrote:<snip>I like to confirm what oaks have acorns mid summer then stay out of there till the actual hunt. But if you don't have the info right now, its usually better to do the scouting and figure things out than blind guessing...that is a principle I hunt by.

How do you confirm this Joe? Just bring binoculars and look up at the leaves and hope to see acorns?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 am

Ognennyy wrote:
JoeRE wrote:<snip>I like to confirm what oaks have acorns mid summer then stay out of there till the actual hunt. But if you don't have the info right now, its usually better to do the scouting and figure things out than blind guessing...that is a principle I hunt by.

How do you confirm this Joe? Just bring binoculars and look up at the leaves and hope to see acorns?

Yep, by July-ish you will see acorns on trees. They just are small, maybe half normal size. Binos work but I actually tend to carry a ultra zoom camera while scouting anyway, like the Cannon SX50 that has 50X optical zoom...can spot acorns 50 feet up pretty easy with it.

When possible I look at lower branches first just cuz it takes less time...have trained myself no matter what I am doing, or where I am, if I see an oak tree I look for acorns and/or caps on the ground underweight from the year before. Even if I am in the middle of a city somewhere and there are no deer for miles :lol:

You can actually see baby acorns in May/June too just have to look closer. They just look like tiny acorns, pea-sized or smaller.
pfrizelleSC

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I do the same thing my wife thinks I am nuts! :lol:
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 pm

pfrizelleSC wrote:I do the same thing my wife thinks I am nuts! :lol:

Hahah I thought I was the only one!! My brother heats with wood and we used to source all his firewood from his land. We were always looking for the yellow birches because he liked how they burned. So now anytime I see a yellow birch anywhere I get a little fired up. Or if I see a beech tree I get all excited (there are no oaks on public land in NY). My girlfriend just gives me a look and rolls her eyes.

Thanks Joe. I will definitely be doing that this upcoming spring.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”