wind and ag fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jayhawk

wind and ag fields

Unread postby jayhawk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello all,

I'm a newer hunter and had a question about hunting ag fields. Does wind direction affect which side of an ag field deer will enter from (all else the same)?

Would it matter if it was corn vs. beans?

Thanks!

cdeam

Re: wind and ag fields

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Sometimes deer will bed the downwind side of a woodlot looking out into the fields so they can smell the woods behind em and see any danger that approaches from the open field. Sometimes they'll enter a field at a low spot where thermals are pooling in the evening. Alot of the time they seem to feed in those fields with the wind to their back.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 pm

The biggest part of the equation is knowing where the buck is coming from. beans are a good draw until they yellow. Then Corn is better. Once the beans brown it's game on again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Air currents in ag fields can be tricky situations. When the wind meets the woods edge it causes a backdraft. So even though the wind is in your face it will swirl back and get u picked by deer that appear upwind. Bring plenty of milkweed! I prefer to sit further back in the timber and catch them on there approach.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 pm

cdeam wrote:Sometimes deer will bed the downwind side of a woodlot looking out into the fields so they can smell the woods behind em and see any danger that approaches from the open field. Sometimes they'll enter a field at a low spot where thermals are pooling in the evening. Alot of the time they seem to feed in those fields with the wind to their back.

Spot on... They will sometimes enter by going to the lowest spot to take advantage of dropping evening thermals, sometimes circle down wind, but will often just enter from the closest entry. But don't forget, they often bed the edge of a field and watch it wind to back smelling from behind, then get up and enter wind to back.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 am

To +1 this topic, How would your entry look to a field edge bedding area if you don’t have access to the wood lot? Say your only access is 10 yards into the woods.
jayhawk

Unread postby jayhawk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks all for your feedback - I appreciate it!
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 am

There is an 80 acre property I hunt that is split 50/30 between timber and ag fields. There is a west and an east ag field approx 15 acres each, divided by a large ditch. Adjacent to the NE corner of the East field is a large doe bedding area that is used as yearly bedding. I have taken several doe off this property and my first bow buck last year, but I had to start being very careful about my access to my stand which is approx. 60-70s on the north side of the bedding area in a natural funnel in the understudy in the timber.

The only access from the property is on the south property line and is bordered by private land with no access.

When I was much stupider about the way I hunted I would walk with a westerly or south-westerly wind and on several occasions I observed deer getting up from the bedding and moving away. I thought I was safe because my stand, on the other side of the bedding funnel inside the woods, was good for those winds.

Now I know that I need to access when I have a better wind or risk ruining my hunt before I even make to my stand on this property.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”