Opening morning horror story.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Opening morning horror story.

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:It could have been several things like growing pot or making crystal somewhere or wanted to rob hunters.

Or find some drunk kids back away from mommy and daddy to hurt and take advantage of.

It was a very scary and strange place for other humans to be it was a dirt road about a mile back from any gravel road. It was a place I would've never thought many people would go.

From now on I will be carrying a smith and Wesson 40 hunting with me. And I will never park in a spot I could be blocked in easily.

Do the authorities have an idea who they are or what their motives might be? They can get them for hunter harassment at a minimum.

cameron

Unread postby cameron » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Situations like this make me wonder why I never carry with me when i go hunting. I guess this is the time to start.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 pm

That is truly a horrifying story.
Billyjack

Unread postby Billyjack » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:08 pm

I would have crapped my britches for sure.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm

I've heard about groups of satanic worshippers holding rituals in the woods at night.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 am

Ok. That's scary.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 am

Glad you did what you did.

I've been threatened a few times in the woods - not fun thinking you need to look over your shoulder.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:It could have been several things like growing pot or making crystal somewhere or wanted to rob hunters.

Or find some drunk kids back away from mommy and daddy to hurt and take advantage of.

It was a very scary and strange place for other humans to be it was a dirt road about a mile back from any gravel road. It was a place I would've never thought many people would go.

I doubt I'll hunt off Boyd Woods Road again after this. I have plenty of decent buck bedding areas that one spots not worth possibly my life.

From now on I will be carrying a smith and Wesson 40 hunting with me. And I will never park in a spot I could be blocked in easily.

Yeah, after thinking about it, it does sound like a grow operation, especially considering the time and location. Luckily here in MA they've legalized it and everyone can grow in their backyards, so no crazy dreadlocked men in black on our public lands growing!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:03 am

Crazy times we're living in. Glad you're okay.
Not all those who wander are lost...
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 am

You did the right thing!!! People are getting worse now a days with that stuff...in the last 6 months I have had 3 people chase or approach my veichle in an angry mannor...I should mention I have stopped driving agressiy and have found a holster for my middle finger when driving bc it's seems the more unstable are really taking it to the next level. I carry my handgun always now even when walking the dog bc you never know. That would rattle me from going to that spot again but I encourage you to fight that feeling. We have to rise up and be stronger then these unstable people atempting to rattle us. It's scarry but getting the bleep out of there is the right move no need to fight just take flight not worth it . At that hour if the morning someone that posses is obviously on something
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 am

Scary stuff. I'm positive I would be caught off guard early in the morning rounding up gear getting ready to head in the woods, usually I never see anyone. I am a bit more cautious returning to my truck in the dark after its been sitting in plain view for a few hours while I'm sitting for an evening. You definitely did the right thing by getting out of there. I carry my pistol 24/7 period. Unfortunately society seems to be getting crazier, and most judges like to side with criminals over law abiding citizens. I have been thinking of getting some type of concealed carry insurance such as uscca to help with legal fees if an incident does occur. I'm glad you are okay, and hopefully it doesn't make it too hard to enjoy the rest of your season.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am

Oh man, I hate to hear about this stuff happening on tn public. Things might have gotten worse if you had a concealed carry and pulled it out. I'm glad you are safe, I think you made the right decision.

From what I understand from the conceal carry class I took is that even if you are acting in self defense, you can still end up being sued by the dead criminals family. You will be detained, on trial take time off, have to pay for an attorney and it will likely be a long drawn out process. I got my concealed carry back in February and was skeptical about toting my pistol everywhere, at first.

Nothing has ever happened before so why would I need it now? Truth is, I've had it with me a lot, just because I can and I don't ever know if I need it.

My carry pistol is a sub compact 9mm with a clip on it that fits well tucked in my pants above my wallet. I don't have a holster, under normal circumstances it rides fine. I was cussing it yesterday and today because the grip and magazine rides and catches against my deer stand.

I was thinking on my drive home this afternoon about starting to leave my pistol in my truck when I went into the woods. After reading what happened to you, I'm convinced I will find a spot for it and continue to carry while on public lands.

That incident alone would be enough for me to Check into a concealed carry class. It will allow you to legally carry year round while on twra land and most refuges. The class is easy enough and very informative but it has fees and a trip to the dmv.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Billyjack

Unread postby Billyjack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Several years ago a couple miles from my home two men killed a man and his 11 yr old son as they returned to the boat ramp after a day of fishing. They shot the boy first, and then the dad, execution style while on their knees.. The two men had just robbed a bank and needed a different vehicle..

I swore then that I would never be a helpless victim. They may kill me, but it won't be because I don't have any way to protect me and my family...
Tuffdaddy

Unread postby Tuffdaddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:36 am

Bonecrusher, I had that issue as well (but of my pistol hitting on my stand when hiking in the woods). There are a couple of ways to get around that. First is using a drop leg holster, which keeps it away from your stand and on your thigh. While you might look a little tacti-lame, it has been a big help for me. I'll get over the goofy looks from people looking at the guy with the "military style" holster.

The other option is a chest holster. This keeps off the hip again, and out of the way of your pack and stand straps. Kenai makes a great one, but there are a few other companies making them now as well.

I always have my sidearm with me, whether in the woods or anywhere else. Hopefully never need to use it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”