stalking a buck in standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: stalking a buck in standing corn

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 am

I've never had luck on deer while doing it. I've had good luck hiding in the corn for a ground ambush.

Also, stalking corn fields is a good way to walk up on bears unexpectedly.... trust me :lol:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 am

Double Draw wrote:As many have stated corn rows are planted more closely now...standard is 30" between rows. Standard rows used to be 36" or even 42". I have a small frame so take that into consideration when I state that the closer rows don't bother me...perhaps they conceal me better. The cornfield beside my produce farm has deer beds about 30 yards in located in weedy patches. We discovered them when a friend came to hunt doves.
I recommend Toad Smith's video on YouTube. The key is to be able to ID a deer as far away as possible. This is accomplished by peering down rows before entering them and using wind to your advantage. I believe Toad also discusses specific things to consider to lethally shoot a bedded deer as angles and vitals are slightly different.
Hope you have fun with it.

Most top producers have gone to 22 inch rows in the corn belt. I think a 5% increase in yield is obtained over the 30 inch rows. I guess you don't even have to do the math to see why.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 am

to close together here to do it anymore, was fun in the day, Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”