Beech nuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdw
500 Club

Beech nuts

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 am

Do any of you target beech nuts as an early season food source?
If so how do you rate them compared to other food sources?

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Beech nuts

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:23 am

Absolutely. Deer will walk past anything but white oaks for beech nuts, and white oak and beech very rarely grow close by. Of course, as with any food source, it depends on what else is available in your area and the quality and quantity of each food source.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Greenbriar

Unread postby Greenbriar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 am

I try. I had a day about 8-10 years ago when deer came running from all directions to the sound of them falling in a beech grove. That spot hasn't produced mast like that since. In my experience it happens fast and when they're gone they're gone, we don't have that many beech in my area though.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

I scouted some last week...deer had not touched them yet. Season opens in that area om thursday.

I am keeping my eyes on them...checking periodically to see if it changes. Almost no acorns this year.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 am

After my original post I saw your location is SE Ohio. I have hunted there quite a bit and seen those big beech trees. I have never seen deer flock to them there like they do in the Northeast, but like I said it depends on what else is available in the area and how many good beech nuts you have on the ground. When I have been in SE Ohio there were plenty of other food sources and beech nuts were not available in any quantity enough to attract many deer.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:06 am

brancher147 wrote:After my original post I saw your location is SE Ohio. I have hunted there quite a bit and seen those big beech trees. I have never seen deer flock to them there like they do in the Northeast, but like I said it depends on what else is available in the area and how many good beech nuts you have on the ground. When I have been in SE Ohio there were plenty of other food sources and beech nuts were not available in any quantity enough to attract many deer.

Thanks for the detailed response.
The white oaks in my area are not producing many acorns so I am trying to determine how beech nuts compare to the other food sources in the area.
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 pm

I have a small ridge of beech trees I used to hunt but I had a guy move in on me and it's dead now. I had good action by them in October. Missed a nice 10. They can be a nice draw

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”