Stacking and Deer Manipulation-Same Day

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Stacking and Deer Manipulation-Same Day

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 am

I'm heading north to get on some red oaks Sunday (no white oaks anywhere close always great early season here). There is a creek flat running north south that is choked with tags for a width of 40-100 yards where most of the bedding occurs. Sporadic red oaks mixed with balsam and maple on both sides out of the creek flat. Don't think this property will have been hunted this far back yet this year.

Anticipating wind out of the west in some way. Contemplating walking up the high ground east of the creek, hoping to blow scent down into the bedding, sneak around the bedding on the north where the creek makes a bend probably 500 yards north of the main oak pocket on the west bank, then setting up on the west side, hoping I've forced any deer in the flat to feed out to the west when they leave bedding, even though wind will be at their back. Historically in this area it has been my observation that deer in this area prefer to leave bedding wind to face or at least cross, especially with nominal equal food sources each side.

So, question is, anyone think this would help/work? Would walking through be enough scent to accomplish the goal, if not, leave some kind of human scent sporadically? Presuming sweat won't be an issue to leave some more permanent scent! Thoughts?

Redman232

Re: Stacking and Deer Manipulation-Same Day

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 am

As I see it, they can ignore you, stay bedded til after dark or move how you want them to. So there is a 33% you'll be right. Not bad odds.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 am

Redman232 wrote:As I see it, they can ignore you, stay bedded til after dark or move how you want them to. So there is a 33% you'll be right. Not bad odds.

Never tell me the odds! :lol:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:10 am

Redman232 wrote:As I see it, they can ignore you, stay bedded til after dark or move how you want them to. So there is a 33% you'll be right. Not bad odds.

I suppose they could also bus out on me too, 25% now....thinking stealth mode up the west may be better option? Dan's observation on deer moving into the wind in his journal have me questions life's grand questions for this spot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

In my opinion stealth is the first option. I have killed way more good bucks that didn't know anyone was around, than bucks that smelled me before hand. A big buck will more than likely hold tight until dark after you blow human scent into his bedding area. Smaller bucks may move but the old boy got old for a reason. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am

Stanley wrote:In my opinion stealth is the first option. I have killed way more good bucks that didn't know anyone was around, than bucks that smelled me before hand. A big buck will more than likely hold tight until dark after you blow human scent into his bedding area. Smaller bucks may move but the old boy got old for a reason. :think:

Well that talked me off the ledge. West Bank is Downwind and usually better producing trees. Seems like the best play

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”