Jumping bedded bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bravov2

Re: Jumping bedded bucks

Unread postby Bravov2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 am

New to this, but hill country beds I have yet to bump a buck. In the cat tails/ beaver dam marshes I got close to quite a few before they jumped.

jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 pm

This is my 2nd year looking for buck beds and this weekend was the first time I jumped a buck from his bed. Bed was matted grass with a log to his back. Couldn't find any hair in bed but deer def got up from there. This was in VA where deer density is pretty high.

Question: found a couple of beds with scat in them, why would the deer dump in their own beds?
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 am

I think a lot of times a big mature buck will slip out without you seeing him (in hill country at least). I almost know for a fact this happened to me just last weekend while scouting in Ohio. I was backtracking a super fresh rubline toward a clearcut and came up on a huge bed and I could actually smell the buck. There was no doubt he had just been there. I'm sure I made enough noise coming around the ridge that he slipped out without me seeing him.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:22 am

Remember, the big buck is there because he has several advantages. He is usually using his nose, eyes and ears. I have started scouting using the same approach I would if hunting a bedding area. Allows me to get a little closer for a visual but it also conditions you to know what you can get away with.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 am

Honestly I feel if I was going slow enough to bump a lot of deer from beds I wouldn't get much scouting done. Think about the time it takes to cover 100yards trying to get in close to setup for a hunt. I have bumped a couple, but not very many. I would say 2% of beds I see the deer. I am happy when i check a known bed or find a new bed and it has fresh tracks in it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”