High vs Low pressure front

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mstavely

High vs Low pressure front

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:18 am

Question for everyone was looking over old trail cam pics and historic weather data also my previous own hunting experiences have yall had better luck hunting low pressure weather systems right before the front comes in or the high pressure after the front clears out the next few days? i was starting to pay attention more to the barometer too. Also has anyone payed attention to moon phase either bought the moonguide dial and had success. last year i saw my biggest bucks on waxing type moons? Any input would be appreciated Thanks!

Jdw
500 Club

Re: High vs Low pressure front

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:35 am

The cool side of a front after the rain moves through can be good but the last two mature bucks I have killed have been just before a major rain event.
Even a lull between hard rains can be a good time for movement. It seems they move a bit more before and after and lay low when it is raining hard.
I don't see as much movement before and after weaker fronts.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 am

Just for some clarification; high pressure is generally associated with nice weather, while low pressure is generally associated with cloudy, rainy, or snowy weather. Lot of guys don't know this. Probably get a better response if people understand this. A cold front is good in most instances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

Generally high pressure equals better deer hunting. This has been the case in my personal experience as well. However, I have killed 2 bucks in light rain with my muzzleloader--those were low pressure fronts.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Any change after consistent days leads to a big move.
I like 29 climbing into 30 best.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

I've personally experienced deer moving a lot further right before a cold front/storm hits. I've also experienced good movement from deer the day after a front has passed through as well.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm gonna say high pressure for sure but without a doubt a low pressure system, combined with cold temps and a slow steady rain runs a very close 2nd.
Hunt Hard or Go Home

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”