Vermont Whitetails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GreenMountains

Re: Vermont Whitetails

Unread postby GreenMountains » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 am

Appreciate everyone's comments on the thread. I'm just gonna keep getting out there and scout and have fun with it. The Good news is i wasn't hunting any flat land farms in PA. It was all state ground mountain hunting. so a mature deer looks a lot different than a mature buck i see killed in southern PA or out west. so this type of hunting is unfamiliar. What's funny is I've heard the same complaining up here as in PA, "no deer! I'm done hunting!" Meanwhile the cabin and guys i hunt with are filling tags and seeing deer on a regular basis! you just gotta work and save the beer until after the day is done!

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 am

Vtbowhunter3 wrote:I agree there are mature bucks everywhere just like someone above said. I myself am not complaining of anyone shooting any deer that is legal to take, and I don't think you will here many around here doing so. Just sharing some of the reasons I think VT is tough hunting.

10-4. Not trying to pick a fight. Seeing a lot of the "guys shoot the first thing they see" these days.

My hat is off to anyone who can routinely take bucks in VT - or anywhere for that matter.

GM - I'm sure you'll find some bucks, sounds like you guys know how to hunt the mountains.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 am

Rich M wrote:
Vtbowhunter3 wrote:I agree there are mature bucks everywhere just like someone above said. I myself am not complaining of anyone shooting any deer that is legal to take, and I don't think you will here many around here doing so. Just sharing some of the reasons I think VT is tough hunting.

10-4. Not trying to pick a fight. Seeing a lot of the "guys shoot the first thing they see" these days.

My hat is off to anyone who can routinely take bucks in VT - or anywhere for that matter.

GM - I'm sure you'll find some bucks, sounds like you guys know how to hunt the mountains.

I don't see it as complaining. Why bother to hunt something less if there is better hunting within a .5 hr.? :think: Personally, I am always looking for the highest percentage that I can find within a reasonable distance.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:53 am

GreenMountains wrote:Appreciate everyone's comments on the thread. I'm just gonna keep getting out there and scout and have fun with it.

Exactly. FYI there is a website for a club called the vermont big game trophy club - if you look at the 200 pound club for 2016 you'll see 37 entries, and 10 of those are from the four counties surrounding you. There's other good data on the site too to help start the search. Good luck with it!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:00 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Rich M wrote:

I don't see it as complaining. Why bother to hunt something less if there is better hunting within a .5 hr.? :think: Personally, I am always looking for the highest percentage that I can find within a reasonable distance.

Maine - I was referring to myself, not Vt. Wanted to say if I came across strong I didn't mean it that way.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:08 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Maine, MASS, NH, CT -- all better than VT. Buddy of mine lives there...crazy how poor the hunting is for good bucks -- compared to NH or Maine.

No deer in MA. Move along
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 am

At least you've got good turkey hunting in VT. At least they did when I was near there 7-8 years ago. Keep at it and you will find some good deer. Or go to Ohio like everyone else from Vermont.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am

brancher147 wrote:At least you've got good turkey hunting in VT. At least they did when I was near there 7-8 years ago. Keep at it and you will find some good deer. Or go to Ohio like everyone else from Vermont.

Lol ain't that the truth.
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am

I live on the river between both states, and I love to hunt them both. Odds of finding a mature buck seem much better on the NH side, but if you're going to hunt VT, the area you're in is about as good as it gets. Thousands and thousands of open acres for you to access, and plenty of rugged areas where the bucks can get old. Very few guys are consistently successful, but thats true for lots of states. I grew up, and have a camp in the farm areas of western VT. Tons of deer, but good luck finding one that can live beyond 2.5yrs. I hunt the big woods in the GMNF more and more every year. The buck sign is hard to find, but it can make you drool when you do.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:55 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I don't see it as complaining. Why bother to hunt something less if there is better hunting within a .5 hr.? :think: Personally, I am always looking for the highest percentage that I can find within a reasonable distance.

And this is exactly what we all should be doing, looking for the best bucks, the best odds, the best spots in our areas. Focus on what is there instead of what is not and have fun doing it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”