Setting up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

Setting up

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Since I have beat the buck bedding subject to death recently let me ask a few questions about setting up by the bedding. I have read alot today on the site and never really got what I was looking for or just over read it.
1. How does one go about setting up by the bed. Lets say 60 to 80 yards out?
2. What time of day do you go into the woods?

I think I got some things figured out on how the deer travel where I'm at. I know it's a wild animal and can go wherever whenever. I'm thinking they leave the bean field and walk straight up the mtn til the top 1/3 and walk into the wind to his bed. I followed a nice set of tracks and that's how they were traveling and I ended up finding a bed on a small knob at the head of a holler behind a fallen tree. There was 3 large beds in about a 15ft radius. Once I found the beds like that everything just kinda clicked. From the bed I could see about 40 to 50 yards down up and in front of the bed. So would you just set up downwind on the exit trail?

2. So timing the hunt. I have read numerous times that the buck will bed before daylight. So if that's the case if I was to set up early in the morning wouldn't he wind me as he walks into the wind to his bed? On dans video I noticed several evening hunts. So let's say I try a evening set up. Would you set up above the exit trail hoping to catch him before he gets to close? Or since the thermals would be falling in the evening would you set up below but looking back up the mtn towards the exit trail. This is if he exits with wind to back walking out the exit that he has been watching all day. I don't want to set up wrong and bump him from his bedding area

Sorry for all the questions guys. Yall are just very knowledgeable and know what yall are doing. I have learned alot from what everyone has said and by listening to yall I have actually started seeing it all unfold. If needed I will draw it up on a topo and post it

Rockytophunter

Re: Setting up

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 am

Bump
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:27 am

I'll try to help by sharing the thought process that went into killing my 130" (avatar pic) buck on the opener last season. I had found his bed the previous season. My terrain is mostly long ridges with thick spots but not a whole lot of big terrain. So the scouting is really important. Anyway...I knew where the bed was and I figured he would go straight-ish downhill toward the corn fields. I had a slight offwind but good enough to where I figured the wind would be at his back but he could rely heavily on thermals. The bed was just off the 90 degree bend of a very tight thicket. He had a very awesome bedroom. So my plan was to catch him just after the thermal shift. If he had come in 15min earlier he wouldve busted me due to rising thermal. I used the hard transition from the thicket to access the bed so as not to be out in the open more and have him spot me. I figured he would hold tight to that corner for added security. Plan literally worked exactly how I wanted it to somehow. I had no clue the deer lived there just knew the bed is always there post season.
So his exit was to food. I was between him and the food along his exit trail. Wind was a quartering a bit over his back. Thermals were rising to him. As soon as the thermals shifted, he dropped down and came right in feeding along. Thermals were pulling my scent uphill but the quartering prevailing wind was helping push my scent past/away from him is how I planned it. Hope thats not too confusing.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:06 am

]
Rockytophunter wrote:Since I have beat the buck bedding subject to death recently let me ask a few questions about setting up by the bedding. I have read alot today on the site and never really got what I was looking for or just over read it.
1. How does one go about setting up by the bed. Lets say 60 to 80 yards out?
Access with the wind in your favor, don't cross any trails you expect the buck to come down, unless you can kill him before he hits where you have crossed. If you have to go upwind, try to be several hundred yards up wind. Sometimes you can't get 60-80 yds, sometimes you can get a little closer. This is more trial and error.
2. What time of day do you go into the woods?
Evening hunts, I like to get out as early as I can, so I can take my time getting in. Unfortunately alot of the time I can only hunt a few hours in the evening, so I've grown accustomed to trying to setup as quietly as possible the last 1.5-2 hrs of daylight

I think I got some things figured out on how the deer travel where I'm at. I know it's a wild animal and can go wherever whenever. I'm thinking they leave the bean field and walk straight up the mtn til the top 1/3 and walk into the wind to his bed. I followed a nice set of tracks and that's how they were traveling and I ended up finding a bed on a small knob at the head of a holler behind a fallen tree. There was 3 large beds in about a 15ft radius. Once I found the beds like that everything just kinda clicked. From the bed I could see about 40 to 50 yards down up and in front of the bed. So would you just set up downwind on the exit trail? If he's bedding high and you expect him to drop down when leaving his bed, the wind should be blowing from him to you, but the thermals will pull your scent up the hill until the sun drops below the horizon(approximately). So I'd either setup high enough to keep your scent in the wind or hunt off the trail far enough the thermals aren't carrying your scent right up to him. This assumes the exit trail is down a point. Use milkweed to determine where that spot is. If it isn't within bow range of the trail, I have no issue with waiting by a tree until the thermals drop and then moving in closer to hunt the last hour of daylight. If he is traveling along a ridge (side hilling it), I don't feel setting up above or below really matters, as long as you can shoot him before he gets your scent. Every spot is different, so you have to let the wind, thermals and sign tell you how close is close enough.

2. So timing the hunt. I have read numerous times that the buck will bed before daylight. So if that's the case if I was to set up early in the morning wouldn't he wind me as he walks into the wind to his bed? On dans video I noticed several evening hunts. So let's say I try a evening set up. Would you set up above the exit trail hoping to catch him before he gets to close? Or since the thermals would be falling in the evening would you set up below but looking back up the mtn towards the exit trail. This is if he exits with wind to back walking out the exit that he has been watching all day. I don't want to set up wrong and bump him from his bedding areaFor a morning bed hunt, I have to have a lot of confidence in where exactly the bed is at and how the buck will enter it, this doesn't happen often. I haven't had much luck with morning bed hunting, but others do.

Sorry for all the questions guys. Yall are just very knowledgeable and know what yall are doing. I have learned alot from what everyone has said and by listening to yall I have actually started seeing it all unfold. If needed I will draw it up on a topo and post it
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am

Dan has a YouTube video which will tell you his philosophy and approach for setting up near bedding.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 am

Greg4579 wrote:Dan has a YouTube video which will tell you his philosophy and approach for setting up near bedding.

Could you please post it when you get a chance ?

Thanks!
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

RidgeReaper wrote:I'll try to help by sharing the thought process that went into killing my 130" (avatar pic) buck on the opener last season. I had found his bed the previous season. My terrain is mostly long ridges with thick spots but not a whole lot of big terrain. So the scouting is really important. Anyway...I knew where the bed was and I figured he would go straight-ish downhill toward the corn fields. I had a slight offwind but good enough to where I figured the wind would be at his back but he could rely heavily on thermals. The bed was just off the 90 degree bend of a very tight thicket. He had a very awesome bedroom. So my plan was to catch him just after the thermal shift. If he had come in 15min earlier he wouldve busted me due to rising thermal. I used the hard transition from the thicket to access the bed so as not to be out in the open more and have him spot me. I figured he would hold tight to that corner for added security. Plan literally worked exactly how I wanted it to somehow. I had no clue the deer lived there just knew the bed is always there post season.
So his exit was to food. I was between him and the food along his exit trail. Wind was a quartering a bit over his back. Thermals were rising to him. As soon as the thermals shifted, he dropped down and came right in feeding along. Thermals were pulling my scent uphill but the quartering prevailing wind was helping push my scent past/away from him is how I planned it. Hope thats not too confusing.

My situation is kinda similar except the wind runs along with the ridge alot of the time. The tracks I found came from a bean field and thats where they all are at night. I found tracks going to the bed but no tracks leaving the bed. There was a heck of a trail to the bed which would be walking into the wind. I'm assuming he is going to run the same route on his way back to the field. Could be completely wrong but that's what I'm thinking.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

Greg4579 wrote:Dan has a YouTube video which will tell you his philosophy and approach for setting up near bedding.

Yes please post a link of possible
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 am

Rockytophunter wrote:
My situation is kinda similar except the wind runs along with the ridge alot of the time. The tracks I found came from a bean field and thats where they all are at night. I found tracks going to the bed but no tracks leaving the bed. There was a heck of a trail to the bed which would be walking into the wind. I'm assuming he is going to run the same route on his way back to the field. Could be completely wrong but that's what I'm thinking.

I have found that the trail going into the bed is almost always more beat down. I think it's because they mill around more when leaving than when entering.
Last edited by Redman232 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockytophunter

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Redman232 wrote:
Rockytophunter wrote:

I have found that the bed going into the bed is almost always more beat down. I think it's because they mill around more when leaving than when entering.

Only reason I am thinking he may use same trail is he is walking into the wind to his bed so he would be checking it out before entry but also when he gets to the bed he would turn around and watch the trail he entered on which would put the wind to his back. Then when it gets time he gets up and walks out of the trail he had been watching all day. Could be wrong that's just how I'm looking at the big picture. But then again that's why I'm asking for opinions since yall have seen alot more than me.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Greg4579 wrote:https://www.google.com/search?q=dan+infalt+lone+wolf+setup+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

:roll:

Aw man... you're supposed to post this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dan+infalt+lone+wolf+setup+youtube

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”