What keeps you out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dressedtokill

What keeps you out?

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 am

What keeps you from hunting ? Here it has been cool in late august early September in the 70s and now for the last week it's been in mid to high 80s! Seems like movement has slowed down so do you still hunt or sit out and keep pressure down? I am new to hunting bedding and trying to figure it out so any help would be appreciated

" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
Wall hanger

Re: What keeps you out?

Unread postby Wall hanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am

Family obligations and work are the only things that keep me out of the woods. Weather only determines where i will going Not if i will be going.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am

Depending on how Im feeling. If I head out with alot of doubt Im essentially wasting my time and thats not fun. So I stay home and do other things. If I head out with a good attitude and confidence then Im having fun no matter how the hunt ends. It helps to prevent me from burning myself out during the season too.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 am

The only thing that keeps me from hunting is when my buck tag is filled. Even then I don't quit as I will immediately start scouting for next season. If I'm not working you can bet I will be out hunting. I love doing this stuff too much to make excuses for why I can't hunt today. So many of my greatest memories were on those not so ideal hunting days with rough weather conditions or other factors that would cause others to stay home. I live for the next 4 months so I like to make each minute count.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am

Family obligations/time. I travel a lot for work (week to ten days at a time sometimes) which leaves my wife to be a single parent to a 5 year old. I squeeze in a few days here and there. In fact we were in front of the calendar last night planning out fall through Christmas. I might have one or two "true" bow hunting sits (get in early afternoon, sit through evening).

I'll get one or two days for rifle season, one day for muzzleloader season, and one or two mornings waterfowl with my buddy.

Good thing is I small game hunt with my bow like crazy just 5 minutes from work, so I can try and whack squirrels all the way through the end of February.

Emrah
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm

My dad always said you can't shoot a deer if you aren't in your stand.

I don't think weather has ever kept me from hunting, unless it is just gonna be unbearable. If it is just less than ideal, I still make a go of it. For me, the key is to have enough potential spots picked out that I have a place to hunt no matter what the weather looks like.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm

1. Work
2. Family/friends
3. Rain (definite, radar indicated, prolonged, driving rain)
4. Very hot weather
5. Burnout (late season only)
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm

My health. Some days I just can't do it!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Work and family are the main things that keep me out of the woods. In the past frustration has also led to some missed opportunities but I've been working on that.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Work and family are the two main things that will keep me out of the woods. Used to stay home during nasty weather, but as long as it's not lightning out, I go. Have had decent luck in pretty nasty weather.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 am

Family, work, lightning. Other than that, I want to be in the woods.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 am

in PA we have an antlerless muzzleloader season the 3rd weekend in Oct until the 4th weekend of Oct. This increases pressure on public land with groups putting on drives. Before I took a break this week, but this season I'm going out of state for a few days.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:52 am

Work, family commitments and as of late my wife is threatening to not let me go for a while because I've got into chiggers two times in a row and they itch terribly. She can't believe i still want to go after that but i can't help it.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 am

Primarily family and work, though sometimes gut feeling. Yesterday morning had time to hunt but got home from the night before close to midnight and the wind looked pretty unpredictable for the morning spots I had confidence in. Decided to let momma sleep and headed out with the kids around 6:30 to see which spots were getting hunted and picked some wild grapes for jelly. If I'm not confident sometimes I bail and do stuff like that. For me it really help set the tone around the house for late October and November when I'm on my fifth day in a row or something like that. All about balance for me with a working wife and two little kids.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:17 am

Family schedule. That's really it. I pick the right weather conditions and time of year and make it work. Until the kids get older, that's what I have to work with

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”