Bucks And Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Bucks And Access

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 am

So my girlfriends yard is a small 14 acre piece. I have seen some seriously nice deer. (pics will be posted later). I found a doe bedding area inside a few blow downs that actually fell just perfectly enough to make a nice little cubby in a wide open area. . Now there is a nice hill about 40 yards from the doe bedding area that overlooks it. it has pine trees from what I can see. I did not want to jump the stone wall because the stone wall is the boundary line for the property, and also because in that zone we have to wait until Oct. 1st to hunt. And we are getting too close to the opener. But I am assuming the buck(s) bed on top of that hill overlooking the does? Because all of my pictures and videos are of the bucks with the does and other smaller bucks.

Also it is very difficult to get in on this area without them seeing you. But there is a nice little hill about 100 yards from the field and these beds. Would it be best to set up on the other side of this hill? Two trails go right around the hill. Not to mention tons of them come across the trail from the preserve she butts up too.

What do you guys think? Should I try to push the envelope? Or should I gradually make my way back? It seems like the deer are pretty comfortable in this area. They are usually up and walking around at 11:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Just wondering exactly how to attack it. I have never had these caliber bucks to hunt. They are usually no more than 3 years old.

Jrichard

Re: Bucks And Access

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:01 am

Image]

Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:02 am

Anyone got an estimate on age? I know nothing is 100% but I was just wondering. I havent seen too many deer like this haha.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:32 am

Not sure about others but i can't view the pics to give you a guess
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:37 am

I'm kind of having a hard time picturing what your describing. If the pines are on a hill I'd assume they use hill country bedding as Dan describes in dvd. If deer feel comfortable in this area you may not need to push the envelope unless others can hunt it too. Also too much pressure may push them to the refuge if proper bedding is there and people are not in there
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 am

I dont have a topo map because I am at work. But imagine a hill top with pine trees. (this is very small, looks like maybe a 40 yard flat.) Then the hill runs down and levels off to a rock wall. which is a shelf like area with a large blow down and a field off to the right. Then the shelf drops off and then levels out about 100 yards away. At the very bottom of the hill there is a small hill that the deer walk around. I feel like I should use that to conceal myself.
Ajazwinski88

Unread postby Ajazwinski88 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 am

That second pic is a serious buck! All daylight to boot. Id wait for a good wind and hunt them there.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:05 am

All I see is a generic photobucket image where pics should be. So....kind of hard to say much on age.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:21 pm

If you click on the pic it will let you view it....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”