Determining hunting pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Corylewis

Determining hunting pressure

Unread postby Corylewis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:49 am

Ok I got drawn for a two week managed bowhunt. The area is 600 acres but all 75 of us have to park in the same parking lot. The area is hill country with some bottom CRP with horse trails and a few hiking trails throughout.

I've never hunted it before so I am trying to guess where the hunting pressure will be. Thinking easy access and closer to the parking lot. I am also looking for signs of reflective tape or tacks, trail cams etc. I have found some good spots but worried about hunters being there when I get there.

Any other tips for guessing where hunting pressure will be? Thanks.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Determining hunting pressure

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 am

My main tip would be to think about it like those 75 hunters are hunting you... Where would you hide that they would never look. Yes, it needs whitetail habitat, but more importantly it has to wreak of over looked.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 am

On top of what Dan said I would expect a fair share to use those horse trails and such. Something I'm realizing the more and more I scout all over is my "locally" public pieces I can pretty much bet on where a stand will be near or in. Now most of those spots are gun stands but it's still intel. Are you familiar with other public pieces near this management areas? Where do you see a lot of the pressure or stands when you scout those? That kind of helps me X out areas while looking at topos and aerials.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 am

Don't worry where the hunters are going. Figure out where the deer go to avoid the hunters! I like to look for any wet areas for buck bedding.

I'm guessing a good share of those guys are going to be within 150 yards of those horse/hiking trails.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 am

600 acres and 75 hunters? I would expect the deer to leave that 600 acres entirely after the first couple of days. Or quit moving in daylight.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Corylewis

Unread postby Corylewis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:40 am

tbunao wrote:On top of what Dan said I would expect a fair share to use those horse trails and such. Something I'm realizing the more and more I scout all over is my "locally" public pieces I can pretty much bet on where a stand will be near or in. Now most of those spots are gun stands but it's still intel. Are you familiar with other public pieces near this management areas? Where do you see a lot of the pressure or stands when you scout those? That kind of helps me X out areas while looking at topos and aerials.

Good point. Being in Missouri and all of the TV hunters a lot of folks around here like setting up on field edges or power line cuts. My plan is to try and get of the trails quite a bit and into the woods on the ridges.
Corylewis

Unread postby Corylewis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:41 am

brancher147 wrote:600 acres and 75 hunters? I would expect the deer to leave that 600 acres entirely after the first couple of days. Or quit moving in daylight.

The area sees a lot of hikers and people on horseback year round. Will deer perceive hunters differently than other human presence?
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:56 pm

I live directly next to public land. I can see the parking lot from my front porch. The public land has moderate to rough terrain, also about 600 acres. 95% of deer hunters are within 1/4 mile of the parking lot, on the easiest terrain, with a trail within 100 yards.

Bird hunters, or coon hunters on the other hand, might actually cover some ground.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:22 am

If that hunt is where I think it is, there is a lot of area that most hunters won't want to walk. Most don't hunt far off the trails.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 am

Corylewis wrote:
brancher147 wrote:600 acres and 75 hunters? I would expect the deer to leave that 600 acres entirely after the first couple of days. Or quit moving in daylight.

The area sees a lot of hikers and people on horseback year round. Will deer perceive hunters differently than other human presence?

I hunt a lot of heavy pressure. Its a common misperception that deer leave the area. Deer don't know the differance between hunter and hiker, what they do know is where people get to. I find big bucks living very close to heavy pressure, but finding a small spot where no one goes, and I can say with certainy, if there are big bucks on that property, they are finding such spots to hide.
Corylewis

Unread postby Corylewis » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:00 am

dan wrote:
Corylewis wrote:

I hunt a lot of heavy pressure. Its a common misperception that deer leave the area. Deer don't know the differance between hunter and hiker, what they do know is where people get to. I find big bucks living very close to heavy pressure, but finding a small spot where no one goes, and I can say with certainy, if there are big bucks on that property, they are finding such spots to hide.

Thanks Dan! There is a spot literally right next to the parking lot that is thick new growth with no huntable trees. I actually found a dead mature buck in there scouting. I know it's risky but I may hunt it, once pressure gets high, from the ground.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 am

Get there earlier than you think anyone else will. If you have scouted and found good deer sign way back in he property, go there and let the rest of the hoard push the deer to you when they start to move in.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 am

Corylewis wrote:
dan wrote:
Thanks Dan! There is a spot literally right next to the parking lot that is thick new growth with no huntable trees. I actually found a dead mature buck in there scouting. I know it's risky but I may hunt it, once pressure gets high, from the ground.

That is a very good indicator, that it's an overlooked spot! He went to the safest spot he knew, when he was shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:28 am

I have definitely seen deer leave an area with a lot less pressure than that. Most of what I hunt is big woods type areas though with continuous deer habitat, and moderate to low pressure. If the pressure gets on, they move to an unpressured area close by, deer tracks don't lie. I think part of it depends on what the adjacent habitat and pressure is like. Not trying to start argument, just my experience.

If the property you will be hunting is the best or only habitat the deer have close by then sure they will stay there, and I agree you need to find the overlooked spots.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Corylewis

Unread postby Corylewis » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm

woodswalker wrote:Get there earlier than you think anyone else will. If you have scouted and found good deer sign way back in he property, go there and let the rest of the hoard push the deer to you when they start to move in.

I found a nice saddle that is further back that I was thinking of doing just this. Get in early and let everyone push the deer to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”