Wisdom from Experienced Beasts' on Flooded Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Wisdom from Experienced Beasts' on Flooded Bedding

Unread postby Double Draw » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Do any of you experienced Beast hunters have an intel on buck bedding that gets 'taken away' due to flooding?
Two types of flooding come to mind both with real-life situations attached to them:
1) Short-term flooding-The one piece of public I hunt is nearly all swamp. There are some areas with creeks that are slow moving and a lot of low ground that is frequently soupy. Red brush, multi flora and all plants dense abound. Last rifle season it rained hard overnight and I was shocked at how transformed the same area was from the previous day. So much so that normal beds were in inches of water. Within 36 hours things dried out but outside of the obvious of bucks moving to higher ground do any of you have experience/insight as to mature buck bedding in this type of scenario? The day things were flooded I did bump - or maybe better said, punched - a mature buck from his bed. I was crossing a very long beaver dam and he ran from a secluded high area right through the deep water. I couldn't get off a shot as I was completely caught off guard. I could have thrown a baseball from the road into his bed. I went back in late winter and found a good bed. Possibly his 'high water' bed?
2) Long-term flooding-I imagine this could take place for a variety of reasons but in my situation, on another piece of public, beavers built a 'super dam' this spring. Last year their dam flooded about 3 acres of ground. This year at least 50+ acres. Unless the beavers get trapped, die or run out of food (not for a long time) this will change buck bedding patterns...but how? Will it move them off the property...about 500 acres? Will they just find the best of the remaining bedding? Any insights?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Wisdom from Experienced Beasts' on Flooded Bedding

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 am

The best you can hope for in areas that have seasonal flooding, meaning at one point in the year usually the beds are under water for a couple weeks or longer, is seasonal bedding. Primary beds will be in the spots that are safe all year. Now thats not to say a primary bedding area can't get flooded once or twice for a day or two. I try to concentrate most of my effort into spots within the flooded area, along the edges that don't go completely under water. Your beaver damn situation should eventually lead to better bedding, by creating thick transition along water. I would imagine, once done the water height should be fairly stable.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:39 am

Great post I found my best honey hole under water this year with a wet summer. From years past the deer are still bedding in those areas they just adjust a little which means you must adjust a little too but those deer are still going to use the area just a little differently...I'm honestly looking forward to it bc I can eliminate certain areas I know won't have deer beacuse it's under water and it's seems like it's the stacking bed's idea
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 am

Higher water level could hale stack bedding. Find those prime high spots and the bucks will most likely be there!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:38 am

On the family farm seasonal flooding occurs and I have seen where some of the older deer will take to high ground in thinner cover they'd normal pass on. Always felt they used the water as an alarm or to be the vacuum for thermals. One thing I know is when the ice makes noise- look elsewhere.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”